PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on spectators to kumite

scout76
5th September 2007, 23:17
I recently started training in a traditional Shotokan dojo, but was surprised when several students were "cheering" for their friends during free sparring. Comments such as "C'mon Chris..." or "Go get your point, so-n-so".

I got my shodan in 1989 and I've been in numerous dojos as I've moved around the country over the years, but I've never encountered that before. Is this common? I was always taught that as a spectator, your job is to observe and learn - either learn what is being done correctly or incorrectly; but to cheer?

Don't get me wrong, I don't insist on people bowing to me or even calling me Sempai or Sensei. I consider myself a traditionalist mostly by training standards, so formality really isn't a big deal to me.

Just curious to hear the thoughts of others on this.

Thanks,

Brian Eubanks

ZachZinn
5th September 2007, 23:35
I remember seeing that at tournaments in the 80's when I was a kid, but I don't remember it happening in the dojo, I would personally find it hard to concentrate on learning in that kind of environment.

armanox
12th September 2007, 04:42
Hmm.....I've seen cheering in tournaments, but never in any dojos nor dojangs (TKD & HKD) that I've visited.