PDA

View Full Version : Gold Label Dogi

Ewok
11th September 2007, 23:03
So I heard Rob say he got himself a gold label dogi, and I imagine there is a few in service around the place. I need to get a new dogi (photos of why to come - maybe thats another thread..), and I've wondered since their release what the actual difference was.

Blue Popovic
11th September 2007, 23:41
Gold label, as it's name may give away, is the Rolls Royce of Dogi. Interwoven within the fabric of cotton is synthetic thread, which gives it a very sturdy make. It is slightly heavier and thicker than the black label (100% cotton).
The kind of dogi that will easily withstand years of intensive juho practice.
Not a big difference in price with black label, but the extra you pay is worth the investment.
Honestly, the price-quality ratio of these dogis is pretty amazing.
And they have this crisp beautiful snappy sound on tsuki or keri ... makes it worthwhile just for that LOL

hope this has been informative.

FYI : Ozaki now has overhauled it's online purchasing system, with much much clearer forms to fill in and you can buy online with credit cards (they still send you a mail with an estimate for your purchase, e-mail on which you'll find a link to online payment). No need anymore to send faxes with credit card details!!!

Happy training.

Steve Williams
12th September 2007, 00:22
If anyone had a dogi from the original supplier (can't remember the name.... symantec... or something similar...... oh my old brain.....) anyway, if you did then gold label is the same quality as this...... same quality as the older Isami top quality ones were also......
Very good, will last a long time, good quality.

Ewok
12th September 2007, 00:42
Blue - Thank you! Thats exactly what I was after. I might spend a little more and get a gold, and keep my poor tattered old ozaki as a spare.

FYI : Ozaki now has overhauled it's online purchasing system, with much much clearer forms to fill in and you can buy online with credit cards (they still send you a mail with an estimate for your purchase, e-mail on which you'll find a link to online payment). No need anymore to send faxes with credit card details!!!

More than anything this interests me! Looks good, and it has some nice surprises, such as being able to have some of the shirts personalised with your name and club - would be nice if you have an event of some sort.
http://www.ozaki-sk.co.jp/wear/index.html

Steve Malton
12th September 2007, 11:40
If I recall, the other difference between Gold and Black label is "Reinforced crotch and armpits". From what I've seen this means extra resistance to tearing rather than a built in groin guard ;)

Rob Gassin
12th September 2007, 14:12
Few other differences:
The gold label has no stitching on the outside of the pants.
It is a slightly wider cut than the Black Label.
There is no B (for big - I think) size for the more rotund kenshi.
It is less white (more cream colour) than the Black Label

Leelanau
16th September 2007, 20:53
Gold label, as it's name may give away, is the Rolls Royce of Dogi.

My dojo has rephrased it: "Oh My Buddha" quality. And it is as good as the name, mmmm. It doesn't even wrinkle.

John McCulloch
18th September 2007, 04:41
If anyone had a dogi from the original supplier (can't remember the name.... symantec... or something similar...... oh my old brain.....) anyway, if you did then gold label is the same quality as this...

And not only that, the Gold label dogi don't have the muna-sho embroidered into the armpit area like the former Synapse version.

Gary Dolce
18th September 2007, 11:39
I am not usually a fan of polyester blends so I have avoided getting a gold label dogi so far. How does the gold label dogi feel in hot weather when you are sweating a lot? If you tell me it passes that test, maybe I will try one.

On a different note, I recently started using one of the cheaper dogis I got from Synapse when they were still in business. This is the not the really cheap one you can get now (from Bang) but the economy model that ran about $70 US. Material is very thin, it doesn't have much snap, and I don't know how it will wear, but I really like it in very hot weather.

Rob Gassin
18th September 2007, 12:30
I am not usually a fan of polyester blends so I have avoided getting a gold label dogi so far. How does the gold label dogi feel in hot weather when you are sweating a lot? If you tell me it passes that test, maybe I will try one.

On a different note, I recently started using one of the cheaper dogis I got from Synapse when they were still in business. This is the not the really cheap one you can get now (from Bang) but the economy model that ran about $70 US. Material is very thin, it doesn't have much snap, and I don't know how it will wear, but I really like it in very hot weather.

The Gold Label Dogi was the best of the 3 dogis I wore In 35 to 40 degrees heat in Japan 2 weeks ago and God did I sweat!!!! In my book, it passes the heat and humididy test.

Leelanau
19th September 2007, 02:39
I think part of the reason it does so well in hot weather is that it has very wide sleeves and pants. And it's thick enough that the sweat doesn't usually seep to the outside. I love my dogi.

Mike Haftel
19th September 2007, 04:51
Blue - Thank you! Thats exactly what I was after. I might spend a little more and get a gold, and keep my poor tattered old ozaki as a spare.

More than anything this interests me! Looks good, and it has some nice surprises, such as being able to have some of the shirts personalised with your name and club - would be nice if you have an event of some sort.
http://www.ozaki-sk.co.jp/wear/index.html

Link doesn't work. Maybe their site is down?

Ewok
19th September 2007, 05:54
Link works fine when I checked it just now.. how about the main page:
http://www.ozaki-sk.co.jp/

Any good?

PeterL
19th September 2007, 06:11
try this for english

http://www.ozaki-sk.co.jp/en/index.html

Gary Dolce
19th September 2007, 12:46
I have a question about dogi sizing for anyone who may have bought an Ozaki or Maekawa dogi recently:

In the past, we have had problems with Ozaki dogi that were cut too narrow in the legs and butt and tended to bind when you kick, especially in the bigger sizes. Maekawa and Isami (no longer available to us?) were cut bigger and fit better for the same marked size. The dogi I ordered directly from Synapse also seemed to have this larger cut.

Does anyone know if this is still an issue with Ozaki? I like the fact that you can order directly from them via the web but don't want to end up with dogi that don't fit comfortably. Does Maekawa have a similar website?

Ewok
19th September 2007, 16:37
The Ozaki site has a fairly good size guide - a little time with a measuring tape should set you straight - just add a few CM for shrinkage.

Gary Dolce
19th September 2007, 19:18
The Ozaki site has a fairly good size guide - a little time with a measuring tape should set you straight - just add a few CM for shrinkage.

I am sorry I wasn't clearer in my previous message. My question isn't about picking the proper size, it's about my perception that for the same size, in the past, Maekawa and Ozaki were cut differently - i.e. that for the same length pants, Maekawa were cut wider in the legs and butt. I still have a few size 4 and 5 Ozaki dogi from before the logo change that I was never able to re-sell to Kenshi in my Branch because the pants would only fit someone with a beanpole build. Since I haven't ordered from Ozaki in about 10 years, I am curious if this is still a problem.

Anders Pettersson
20th September 2007, 07:13
I have a question about dogi sizing for anyone who may have bought an Ozaki or Maekawa dogi recently:

In the past, we have had problems with Ozaki dogi that were cut too narrow in the legs and butt and tended to bind when you kick, especially in the bigger sizes. Maekawa and Isami (no longer available to us?) were cut bigger and fit better for the same marked size. The dogi I ordered directly from Synapse also seemed to have this larger cut.

Does anyone know if this is still an issue with Ozaki? I like the fact that you can order directly from them via the web but don't want to end up with dogi that don't fit comfortably. Does Maekawa have a similar website?
Gassho.

Hi Gary.

The dogi sold by both Ozaki and Maekawa are identically today.
In the old days the regular Maekawa dogi was about the same as the LA size of Ozaki (Maekawa 4L about the same as Ozaki 4LA).

The Gold Label today are a little wider than the Black/White Label. The Gold Label (called deluxe when Synapse handeled the dogi, but now as John mentioned hasn't the muna-sho embroidered in the armpit) is basically the same as the Isami SK90.

So if you want a little wider cut for pants the Gold Label is the dogi to choose.
To order from Maekawa or Ozaki doesn't really matters. Maekawa was a little quicker to accept VISA card, but since that now is possible with both, it really doesn't matter. The only difference between tham might be how quick they handle orders and the other stuff that they sell, such as T-shirts, towels etc.

The links to the respective home pages are:
Ozaki: www.ozaki-sk.co.jp
Maekawa: www.maekawashouten.co.jp

/Anders

Gary Dolce
20th September 2007, 14:52
Gassho,

Hi Anders,

Thanks - that was the information I was looking for. I have a "regular" Synapse dogi that fits like the old Maekawa did, so if the current Ozaki and Maekawa black label are cut the same as the Synapse regular, they should be fine.

It is great to see that they have both fully embraced internet commerce. Ordering used to be such a hassle if you didn't speak Japanese, so when we did place an order it was usually a big one. Anyone have any suggestions for what to do with my remaining stock (maybe 5 or 6) of old dogi without the new munasho? I guess I could try to sell them on E-Bay.

Gary