PDA

View Full Version : Sword Arts/Naginata Instruction in LA?

Becca
2nd January 2001, 14:53
Hello -- I live in Los Angeles and am currently studying Shintaido Bojutsu -- I am interested in expanding my studies and am looking for an instructor in naginata or sword. I know a little about some of the different styles, but not a whole lot -- so if you have an information or ideas about where I might be able to take lessons I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Nathan Scott
2nd January 2001, 18:56
Hello Ms. Borawski,

I have a few contacts for you regarding your request:

For Naginata, there are currently three dojo under the SCNF/USNF:

Helen Nakano Sensei; Godan Renshi
<b><i>Torrance Cultural Arts Center</i></b>
3330 Civic Center Drive
Torrance, CA 90503
Thursdays 7:30 - 9:30 PM
Naginata@aol.com

Helen Nakano Sensei; Godan Renshi
<b><i>Gardena Valley Japanese Cultural Institute</i></b>
16215 S. Gramercy Place
Gardena, CA 90247
Tuesdays 7:00 - 9:00 PM
Naginata@aol.com

Cathy Mikuni Sensei
<b><i>Pasadena Japanese Cultural Institute</i></b>
595 Lincoln Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91103
Saturdays 9:00 - 11:00 AM
Naginata@aol.com

Nakano Sensei is quite well known internationally (you may have seen her in a couple of videos), and has produced some highly skilled Naginata-ka. Nakano Sensei was one of two instructors (the other one retired) to formally introduce Naginata to America. More information on these dojo can be found at:

http://members.aol.com/naginata/scnf.html

As far as sword goes, there is not a whole lot in the LA area. There are a couple of instructors teaching Iai somewhere, and lots of Kendo if that is of interest to you.
Also, there are several groups teaching Iai in Orange County - if this is of interest please post back accordingly and I'll see if I can get someone to post more information for them.

I study/teach Shinkendo under the style's founder, Obata Toshishiro Kaiso. We currently have three dojo in LA:

<b><i>SHINKENDO & AIKI BUKEN HONBU</i></b>
Shinkendo & Aikido/Aikibujutsu
1643 N. Highland Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90028
Chief Instructor: Obata Toshishiro, Kaiso
(323) 463-3771 Dojo
http://www.shinkendo.com
(open 7 days a week; evening)

<b><i>Tsuki Kage dojo</i></b>
Shinkendo & Aikido/Aikbujutsu
2521 Valley Dr.
Hermosa Beach, CA 90254
Nathan Scott, Kyoshi
(323) 821-8730 ph/vmail
nscott@anim.dreamworks.com
http://www.shinkendo.com/lmu.html
(open mon & wed eve's only)

<b><i>Martial Arts Institute</i></b>
Shinkendo, Kenpo, Karate, Tai Chi
2521 Valley Dr.
Hermosa Beach, CA 90254
Peter Teymouraz Sensei
(310) 617-5967 ph/vmail
(open tues, thurs and sat only)

Obata Kaiso teaches class personally mon-fri at the Honbu dojo, and Teymouraz Sensei and myself are also instructors there. Your welcome to schedule time to view classes at any of our dojo, but I'd have to recommend our Honbu if you have the opportunity to train there. Please view the main web page listed above for more information regarding Shinkendo.

Feel free to write me off-list or here if you have further questions!

Regards,

Becca
10th January 2001, 17:02
Thanks so much for all the information! Sorry it took me so long to respond - I've been out of the office on work for a week, so I just read all the info you posted. I am -really- interested in the Shinkendo, it sounds great, however my work schedule right now wouldn't permit me to make too many of the classes.

I'm hoping to have most of the summer off - so I think I'll try to sign up for classes at the LA location then. Possibly next month I'd like to visit a class or two also - so I'll keep in touch with you.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the info - it was incredibly helpful!

-Becca

Stéphan Thériault
11th January 2001, 01:23
There is also mr.Bodiford who teaches Kashima-Shinryu at UCLA. You can go to the following site for more info: http://ksr.facade.com/ They are a comprehensive art that includes the following sub-arts: kenjutsu, batto-jutsu(sword drawing), naginata, sojutsu(spear), kenjutsu-tachiai(use of sword against other weapons), shuriken(throwing darts), jujutsu(grappling), kenpo(striking and kicking), bojutsu(long staff), jojutsu(short staff),kaiken-jutsu (knives and short swords), tasuki-dori(tying an opponent). Hope that helps.

Nathan Scott
11th January 2001, 16:51
> <i>Thanks so much for all the information!</i>

My pleasure. Please introduce yourself if you join one of our dojo.

> <i>There is also Mr.Bodiford who teaches Kashima-Shinryu at UCLA.</i>

Damn, I knew I'd be forgetting someone. I would also recommend going to view Bodiford Sensei's class.

In all cases, please make sure to contact someone and make an appointment to view class so they can expect you.

Regards,