PDA

View Full Version : An update and a question.

ZachZinn
13th October 2007, 05:28
Hey all, if you recall a few months back I posted about sparring, and we had a thread for a bit.

Since this time I have had a couple sparring classes which went fine given the respective levels of the people involved, so thanks for everyone's input.

What I am wondering now is how ( way down the line in the case of my dojo, just thinking ahead) to integrate throws and takedowns into sparring effectively with people who have never done this before.

When I was a kid/teenager we sparred with takedowns, usually this amounted to not much more than a sloppy osoto-gari or harai-gosh (sp?) type technique, but I don't remember for the life of me whether we were just thrown to the wolves or whether we were "stepped up" somehow to doing this.

I'm wondering if any karate people have specific drills they've practiced or been exposed to that are good prepatory work for sparring under this type of ruleset. Again this is something that probably wont be put into play for some time in my class, but the subject has simply been on my mind lately.

Thanks in advance.

Chucky
14th October 2007, 18:09
Hi Z.
We practise this type of Kumite at my Dojo. Admittedly it's not something we do on a regular basis. A lot of the pairwork we practise includes locks/throws so it's really a matter of integrating them into your sparring practise.
The secret is to do 'halfspeed' sparring, this gives students the ability to utilise a lock or takedown in a safe and controlled manner. It also gives them the opportunity to apply said techniques as it is very hard to make it work if the opponent is fighting at full speed, retrieving their kicks/punches before any kind of throw/lock can be applied. If you don't have mats you can go to the point of throwing.
As long as everyone 'plays the game' so to speak.

shotobouv
10th November 2007, 19:16
I have to ask if this is for compitition application or personal defense?

There is a difference with how you would train for these, compitition vs. defense.

Compitition, I have limited experiance, you typically cannot grapple, grab or put a lock on a person. This is more of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). Most traditional/clasical karate just has sweeps, this can be used with a slight push. I have seen in tapes people kind of picking up there opponent to throw them.

If you want to compete, know the rules and train accordingly.

For self defense, if you are studying one time attack and defense, or the semi-free one time attack and defense, this is a good place to start.

Another place to start is the bunkai of the kata. Yes, you can develop it to true application level.

Just some points. Go slow and build up speed. Learn what works for you, everyone is different. Everyone plays the role of aggresser and defender, payback is..........

This is where you will learn that kata is a guildeline for true application.

One last thought from Murrphys laws of combat. No plan remains intact after first contact with the enemy.