PDA

View Full Version : What would you put together for pure personal protection

Samurai Jack
5th November 2007, 00:21
What would you take from the arts and combine it with say from a couple of other arts to be strictly street effective against what you might face in a self defense situation.

This situation can be what ever you think you have or might have to deal with in daily life. For some, being mugged on the train on the way home. Others, working in a high target crime industry, jeweler etc. For some, it may be a job related personal safety like, a soldier, security, LEO. You get the idea, not everyone has the same needs. This doesn't me your art isn't going to be effective. It is what you would use other then your art.

For me, I would employ Chen Taichi push hands, strikes from Bajiquan, Sykes-Fairbarin knife combat, and several Judo techniques; Osoto gari, Uki goshi, Obi otoshi be effective against what I encounter during my commute as a common sales businessman.

Basically, I would have to deal with common street thugs from a frontal approach. The thug, if carring a weapon it would be likely a knife or bat. But, more then likely the thug would not carry a weapon and would threaten with pushing, shoving and punches.

TommyK
5th November 2007, 02:20
Greetings,

Its been done...and its called KRAV MAGA! An art I highly recommend! However, I have only dabbled in Krav Maga, a practical art I highly respect, as well as one, as I said, I recommend.

For over 20 years I have practiced in a non-profit school of Korean Karate and Self Defense. In the school I am involved with, we combine the punch and kick combinations of Korean Karate, with 8-10 basic Judo throws and light ground work, with elemental techniques from the harder side of the Aiki arts added in. All in all, a good practical form of self defense. At my age, I focus on 3-5 good techniques that should get me out of harm's way, and I also advise to always to be alert!

Good luck!
Regards,
TommyK

Woody
5th November 2007, 14:27
For over 20 years I have practiced in a non-profit school of Korean Karate and Self Defense. In the school I am involved with, we combine the punch and kick combinations of Korean Karate, with 8-10 basic Judo throws and light ground work, with elemental techniques from the harder side of the Aiki arts added in. All in all, a good practical form of self defense.
Sounds a bit like hapkido. No?
Oops, I just looked at your profile. Chi Do Kwan

I think for pure personal protection I would lean towards mace, pepper spray, stun gun, knives and hand guns.

TommyK
5th November 2007, 22:38
Hi Ricky,

No harm done. I agree with your statements, but I understood, in the context of the thread starter, that this was unarmed defense.

On the heavier side, short of military action, any caliber that starts with a '4', as in .45ACP, .40S&W, .44 magnum, etc. In addition have at least one backup in a '4' caliber and several fixed blades.

However, given the anti-violence politics here on the East Coast, one is probably limited to unarmed resistence, unless one is a sworn LEO.

Also, please note, that mace and pepper spray can 'bite' the defender, based on familiarity, or lack thereof, with the discharge device, wind velocity, aim deflection and other factors.

Please be aware of the local laws and ordinances regarding self-defense, armed and unarmed, in the area you are in. Personally, unless your life is threatened...consider giving it up. Alive is always better!

Regards,
TommyK

Samurai Jack
6th November 2007, 00:44
Great, rather then putting something together you would just use KM. That is the purpose of the thread, KM was created for a specific situation for solders to deal with a type of threat.

But, since KM exists already, what would you take from KM and combine it with something else for your specific self-defense situation? Then why? Say in your world you are more likely to jump out of nowhere getting in your car in a parking lot or garage from a criminal wheeling a bat. Would you then need gun disarming techniques? I am talking about learning some specific group of techniques to a situation.

Thanks for yoru response. :)