PDA

View Full Version : Day #1. of Kyushu Sumo Basho was fine, still...

jonpalombi
12th November 2007, 02:20
Does anyone else feel that without Asashoryu's presence, professional sumo is lacking something? Perhaps it is his ferocious confidence or his indomitable will to finish victorious? His critics may point out his lack of edicate, in regards to the Sumo Kyokai Associations expectations... but the fact remains that the absence of Asa's stage presence, from the Dohyo, is affecting ticket sales. Regardless, the fine level of performance by the rest of the Makuuchi division is enough to keep me riveted to my DVR (as always). The sole Yokozuna, Hakuho, loses on the first day? So do Kaio and Kotomitsuki! :cry: Mercy, mercy, mercy...what can we be in for, this time around? Who will finish in first place this tournament? Chiotaikai certainly kicked Homasho's butt! Ama looked great, as did Kotoshogiku. Hmmm... looks like the Emperor's Cup is up for grabs! Any thoughts, guys?

Later, Jon Palombi

Jeremyf
14th November 2007, 09:18
I have to agree, it doesn't seem quite the same without Asashoryu there... Still he should be back for the next basho right? Hakuho just doesn't seem like he's quite there yet, but that's just a feeling I have, although the first day loss doesn't do anything to make me change my mind! ;) Still it is very interesting. I just wish I could watch live and not basically read play by plays of the matches! :cry:

jonpalombi
15th November 2007, 18:44
Hey Jeremy,
Dish Network Satellite TV and Comcast Cable TV, both carry NHK's TV Broadcast for $25.00 a month. You need the equipment and have to pay for an access fee & taxes. Close to $40.00, so it's about $1.29 a day, 365 days a year. If you break it down to Grand Sumo Basho days only, given there are 90 of 'em, it's about $5.22 per day of sumo. I gladly pay the price for my favorite sport. Of course, my wife and I also love the sub-titled Taiga Samurai Dramas and I love the Kendo Championships, etc... :D

Now, if you cannot get TV Japan in Alaska? :cry: Then you can purchase the entire 15 days on DVD from these folks: http://www.quixium.com/fan/sumo_dvdrlist.htm They sell DVDs for $6.00 a pop. I believe they record 2 days per disc? (I do.) This makes for a less expensive way to watch and re-watch the bashos. Granted, they are put up for sale days after the actual events transpire but you will SEE every match and can share them with others, too. They do the same with the sub-titled Samurai Taiga Dramas and Judo or Kendo Championships. Just my recommendation. Be well and practice hard.

Yours in Martial Spirit, Jon Palombi

dbotari
15th November 2007, 20:42
Kendo Championships, etc... :D

Jon,

I too enjoy Japan TV programming. When are the Judo and Kendo Championships televised?

Dan.

jonpalombi
16th November 2007, 01:12
Jon,

I too enjoy Japan TV programming. When are the Judo and Kendo Championships televised?

Dan.

Hey Dan,
The 55th All Japan Kendo Championships were Nov. 3rd, 2007. Too late for that one. The link to the website that you can buy the DVD is: http://www.quixium.com/fan/sumo_dvdrlist.htm As far as NHK broadcasts, there are various judo and kendo events throughout the year. Somewhere on this site, I'm sure, you can find out about scheduled events in these arts. NHK must have a website that you can check for these tournaments. Frankly, I don't know in advance of my programming guild. A little digging, on your part, should produce the schedule you are after. :D

Later, Jon

Jeremyf
19th November 2007, 01:11
Hey Jon, thanks for the info! My wife is Japanese and we do have some fairly limited programming choices here so anything we can get is great. Unfortunately I can't interest her much in sumo, but all other Japanese programming is great! Kendo is also interesting for me as well. Do they televise any of the Judo or Karate championships? Thanks again!

Oh and what do you think about Hakuho's performance so far? Seems like things are a bit rough right now! The throwing of the cushions for Ama must have been a bit rough for the new Yokozuna... (At least according to the Mainichi!)