PDA

View Full Version : Testing

Jeff
5th January 2001, 17:38
I'm curious as to the testing process involved in other styles of Aikido. In the my style it can take up to ten or more years to reach 1st dan, depending on ones progress. The focus is on quality of teachers as opposed to quantity. Upon being asked to test, we go to the main dojo where our test is viewed by all the teachers and tape recorded. The director of our style then takes the tapes back with him to review. A few months later we receive feedback from him and our own teacher as to our progress and what needs work. It is at this time that we are awarded (or not awarded) our promotion. I find this to be a very effective system, but I would like to get an idea as to how other schools are approaching the testing of their students. Please comment.

dainippon99
6th January 2001, 02:03
Tomiki Kenji, a high ranking judoka and early student of aiki budo, created the style of aikido I study, shodokan aikido. He felt that to make aikido easier to comprehend, the judo technical structure was the best way to do that. He was also and educator, so he felt more comfortable with a curriculum, i suppose. The first 3 or 4 tests in my style are short short short, because in the shodokan, you have to display all of the techniques that you have ever been taught. when you get to the orange belt test, tests start taking up to an hour. Blue belt test take 1 hour 45 minutes. Black belt test is at least a 2 hour affair, if not more (not including water breaks). Once you get to shodan, you only have to show the techniques you have learned so far as a BB. The effect of this testing process is that the student has to study all of the techniques for his whole career. he cant just test on them and then move on. improvement is expected and is almost always shown.
I was born a ramblin' man.

Justin Campbell
6th January 2001, 22:10
I can tell you that in Nihon Goshin Aikido the average time to Shodan is 5+ years. Testing is always cumulative and tests are separated into several tests, i.e., Classical Techniques, Applications, Strikes, Ki, Oral, Written, Weapons and the best is last... the Self-Defense Test. For advancement to higher ranks (Shodan and above) there are additional requirements like teaching, etc.

Jeff
8th January 2001, 18:53
Thank you Justin and Bobby for your replies.
I find it fairly consistent with those that I speak with that most styles of Aikido tend to be very serious in their training and testing. It is in committing to quality that we serve a better purpose for the future, rather than quick promotion and financial gain as seen in some dojos.
Thank you again for your input. I look forward to the opinion of others as well.