PDA

View Full Version : Working in Leather Ito

Michael Hodge
16th November 2007, 16:14
Took delivery of a rather fine Swordstore iaito yesterday. Thing is, the leather ito, though of very high quality, is quite smooth and somewhat perilous to handle as a result.

Does anyone have any suggestions as how to to work in leather ito aside from simply putting it through normal use? I'm the furthest thing from a craftsperson, but the first thing that sprang to mind is to use a very fine grit sandpaper to very lightly rub some texture into the ito, but I figure that would damage it if anything.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael Hodge

James Williams
18th November 2007, 09:27
Michael,

Sake. As one who prefers leather sake is one of the best ways to both get grip in the moment and condition the leather. As I just finished eating in a very expensive Japanese restaurant in Kyoto I don't think that the Ito knows whether it is Ginjo or not.

Sincerely,

James

Michael Hodge
19th November 2007, 13:31
Heh?

Michael Hodge

Chidokan
21st December 2007, 18:07
rub the sake on your hands...also use orange juice, as it has the same effect. I saw some anti slip stuff that they use for tennis, but to be honest it didnt have any better properties than the juice or the sake.... and you could always finish off the leftovers from the bottle or the fruit!:laugh:

OMEGA429
6th January 2008, 06:06
i am buying a new iaito and specified leather tsuka-ito and was asked weather i wanted the smooth side on the outside or inside.i was not sure how to answer my last iaito had leather wrap but i was not asked about smooth side out or in. the iaitos with leather i have seen always look kinda of like suede at first but ware down to smooth pretty quickly. i assume those are smooth side in? perhaps someone with a little more knowledge then i could chime in?