PDA

View Full Version : EP courses that teach firearms

shidoshi04
11th December 2007, 17:27
I've noticed more and more the growing trend of firearm training being taught in EP courses.

There is one course on South Florida where they spend 3 out of the 5 days on the range. I understand if you are preparing a team for overseas work that you want to add as much firearms training as possible, but here in the states the odds of drawing a firearm while on a detail are very rare.

I'm a big fan of teaching the proactive part of EP, use your head, cover all the loop holes, etc...

Any comments on the whole firearm/EP training concept??

Brian Owens
18th December 2007, 06:21
...here in the states the odds of drawing a firearm while on a detail are very rare.

I'm a big fan of teaching the proactive part of EP, use your head, cover all the loop holes, etc...

Any comments on the whole firearm/EP training concept??
Although rare, it's a case of "when you need it, you need it bad."

I think it's important to train protection professionals in realistic handgun tactics, because so much of the training out there is not realistic.

Target shooting, IPSC events, etc. are not what the typical deadly encounter is like for the typical BG, and it's certainly not like what one sees on TV and in the movies, so I think training -- if done right -- is a good thing.

Of course five days is hardly enough training for anyone, so if three out of five days are devoted to shooting that's fine...for that segment. The next five-day segment could be three out of five days on driving; the next, three out of five days could be on empty-hand training; and so on.

Thoughts?

imarubber
18th December 2007, 09:25
When I attended Executive Security International, H2H was taught every morning. The two week residency course included four days in the classroom, three days on the firing range which included line-firing and MOUT exercises, four days classroom, and three days on the driving course. It was pretty comprehensive at the time, and I can only imagine it's gotten even better since then.

http://www.esi-lifeforce.com