PDA

View Full Version : Advice from UK and US required

Sam(urai)
26th December 2007, 05:08
Hello all,

I apologise in advance for putting this post in two areas. I also put it in the Dojo finder area under a different title, then I realised some people from the UK may not have read the post as it is asking about a dojo in the US.

I have trained with the BKA for a number of years and have recently moved to Rochester Hills, Michigan. The closest (and only dojo) I can find in the vicinity that teaches JSA is the "Japanese Martial Arts Center (JMAC)" in Ann Arbour (about an hours plus drive), luckily for me it is a MJER dojo. I understand though that it may be a different school of MJER and also not ZNKR seitei iai.

The iaido is taught by Nicklaus Suino Sensei, I am just trying to find out if this is seen as a good dojo and a good sensei. I know that Suino Sensei has written books in the past, but I understand that lots of people have written books. I am just looking for an honest answer, with my JSA background in BKA ZNKR seitei and MJER iai is this dojo a good option for me?

Thank you in advance for all of your help,

Brian Owens
26th December 2007, 09:59
Greetings, Sam.

I have never trained with Suino Sensei, so I can't give you a first-hand recommendation, but over the years I have talked with people who have trained with him, and none were unhappy with the time they spent.

Whether his school is "right" for you is something only you can decide, though. I suggest that you contact Suino Sensei and ask if you can pay him a visit, talk about your background and your goals, and observe a class or two. Then you will have a better idea of whether he is the right teacher for you, and he of whether you are the right student for him.

HTH.

Chidokan
26th December 2007, 11:18
Given that he studied in Japan under different sensei to who the BKA use, there will undoubtedly be some stylistic differences. The waza should be pretty close and you should still learn a lot. Be open minded, and listen to the bunkai when given.
From memory I think Suino s. studied in the Tokyo area for quite some time (someone correct me if I am wrong) which again would give a slightly different emphasis on various items which senior grades might see, juniors not. He has been training a long time so I would recommend you to visit.

Take advantage of this opportunity and practise as often as you can. The 'seminar circuit' in the USA is a lot bigger in travelling time, so you may not get to go to as many as you did in the UK, but again take that opportunity to see 'how iaido is done' in the USA. There also appear to be several different groups doing MJER, again I reckon down to travel time between the groups rather than anything else, so if you are moving around, try and get to see the different groups in action.

Remember, nothing is wrong, just different to what you are used to. The more variations you are exposed to the better your overall understanding becomes. You do need to keep core values and choose a particular 'style' of doing MJER though, otherwise it becomes a bit of a muddle for senior grades to watch...If you see something you like ask your sensei if it fits in with your style, sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes no....

Sam(urai)
27th December 2007, 02:18
Thank you both for the useful advice, I forgot to mention one important thing though so I am not surprised at the advice given. I am only in the US on secondment for three years then I will return to the UK, I do not want to start learning a completely different style only to have to readjust again when I retun home.

Thank you again, when I get back to the US from Christmas in the UK I have plans to contact Suino s. and visit his dojo, I was just after a "heads up".

Any more information is always appreciated. Thank you again.

Kim Taylor
27th December 2007, 03:31
Hi Sam

I've got one of Suino sensei's students in my dojo now and I've practiced with a few ZNIR folks in the past. You will indeed be in for a switch in style but go practice anyway, it won't hurt a bit. Pay attention to the underlying assumptions and you'll find that it all falls into place, and you won't have any more trouble keeping it separate from your own practice than you have keeping seitei separate.

Don't know how Suino s. teaches but for koryu I just tell those from other lineages to practice as they were taught, I can still help them learn, basics is basics after all. Perhaps you'll be told to keep your style as well.

You'll also find that Guelph isn't all that far from you, and you could come visit in May for the spring iaido and jodo seminar. Another place to consider, Peter Boylan isn't all that far away near Detroit, he just passed his yondan at the grading in December.

Kim Taylor

Sam(urai)
27th December 2007, 05:51
Thanks Kim, I believe that Peter Boylan is in Trenton, that is over a two hour journey. I have heard about the Guelph dojo, I would like to come and train with you at some time while I am close, thank you for the invite.

Kim Taylor
27th December 2007, 12:20
Thanks Kim, I believe that Peter Boylan is in Trenton, that is over a two hour journey. I have heard about the Guelph dojo, I would like to come and train with you at some time while I am close, thank you for the invite.

You're welcome any time Sam, but check out http://seidokai.ca/iai.seminar.html for general details on the spring seminar, we're still finalizing plans for 2008 but the seminar will be May 16-19 and the schedule and fees won't change.

Kim Taylor

Chidokan
27th December 2007, 15:57
and lets face it, anything you get will be better than having to put up with Scott's ugly face!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sam(urai)
27th December 2007, 23:40
and lets face it, anything you get will be better than having to put up with Scott's ugly face!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh: I can't say as he is already trying to kill me when we train anyway... you wouldn't by any chance just be trying to lure me away from the BKA? :eek: I've heard about your sort... and you can put those sweets away too... I'd move for a sausage roll thogh ;) :D

Chidokan
28th December 2007, 18:57
you'll never get any sweets from me, I have a sweet tooth. And I NEVER share them...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

BKA have a limited number of MJER sensei, and therefore you don't get to see the variations prevalent... A good example is Yamazaki s. to Oshita s. however, if you are good enough to see the differences between them. I watched a 7th dan embu at Kyoto a couple of years ago, the majority doing MJER, and was amazed at how many interpretations of mae I saw... all good, but all different. Hence my comment on getting around as much as you can....Long (N. Carolina) and Hooper(Boston area) senseis are both worth a visit, and also there is quite a large MJER following in both the san frasisco and san diego areas if you can get there. Have a wade through some old threads on MJER dojo in the USA and you should be able to pin down the senior sensei who are worth a visit at least once. Have fun...

ScottUK
2nd January 2008, 06:19
and lets face it, anything you get will be better than having to put up with Scott's ugly face!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:Post a pic, Mr Walrus - and we'll compare... ;)