PDA

View Full Version : What is goshin jujutsu?

moritsuna
8th January 2008, 13:38
Is it like regular jujutsu?

They teach goshin jujutsu and judo at this school I am thinking about attending but I don't know what to chose.

morpheus
8th January 2008, 15:39
Most likely some derivation of self defense based upon jujutsu/judo. It could be concepts or techniques they have pulled from the goshin kata in the kodokan curriculum. It is hard to say exactly.

Jeff

Jose Garrido
9th January 2008, 14:20
James,

Why don't you ask this same question to the sensei of the dojo. Ask about its background and history.

This would be the best source for your answers.

Jose Garrido

kiai
11th January 2008, 13:38
As far as I know, goshin jujutsu is modern jujutsu for practical self-defense, without any claim of lineage from a koryu system.

MarkF
12th January 2008, 10:56
I Fact, the Goshin Jutsu kata, from Kodokan Judo, has as one of the founders of this kata, Tomiki Kenji, a highly graded aikidoka as well as Judoka. Today, it is becoming one of the most popular kata taught in judo dojo.

Goshin Jujutsu simply means self-desfense using jujutsu style to accomplish it, but I agree with the poster who who said you should ask the head instructor what he is teaching thenbring it back here and ask your question again, with his/her description, style, etc.

If he has trouble explaining or if you feel you aren't getting the full view, please bring back what s/he says so it may be discussed here.

Good Luck,

Mark

john_lord_b3
5th February 2008, 14:51
I think I can relate to the question of the original poster. My organization is called Goshinbudo Jujutsu Indonesia Club, so my students, when asked by other Budoka, always said that they practice Goshinbudo Jujutsu. So it's not the name of the style, it's the name of the organization. We practice Wado-ryu and the Dentokan version of Hakko-ryu. However, sometimes there were misunderstandings and many people thought that the Jujutsu that we are practicing in our club is a new "Ryu" called "Goshinbudo". In fact, many Korean martial artist thought that we "invented" a new "martial way" called Goshinbudo. Oh well. I think all Budo instructors must always be ready to explain many things :)