PDA

View Full Version : NY sword schools

DO-GENE
9th January 2001, 23:22
Hey all, Im new to this forum and generally read more than post in the other forums, but I was interested in finding a good sword school in the New York city/5 borough area. I am primarily interested not in the sports aspects but in just studying swordsmanship from its practical aspects.
Please get back to me if anyone can help me out...
Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Gene Zadov

Nathan Scott
9th January 2001, 23:37
Hello,

I can think of three off the top of me head:

Modern Samurai (Shinkendo)
179-04 Union Turnpike
Fresh Meadows, N.Y. 11366
(718) 591-9300
Lou D'Agostino Sensei
ShinkendoNY@aol.com

New York Budokai (Iaido)
Eighth Avenue Studios
939 Eighth Avenue
Manhattan, NY
(212) 369-5797
(718) 472-0560
Phil Ortiz Sensei
Deborah Klens-Bigman Sensei

KenZen dojo (Kendo, YSR kenjutsu)
Manhattan, NY

Regards,

[Edited by Nathan Scott on 01-11-2001 at 11:40 AM]

Mark Raugas
10th January 2001, 03:17
There is a dojo teaching Kaze Arashi Ryu kenjutsu in Woodside, NY. You can get the address and schedule at the website below.

http://www.kazearashiryu.org

We will be having a kenjutsu and jojutsu seminar in March or April, but you are welcome to come by and watch a class before then.

Best Wishes,
Mark Raugas

Andrei Arefiev
11th January 2001, 10:49
Hi Gene,

I would heartily recommend the Ken Zen Dojo if iaido and kendo are on your list of what you're looking for. Don't have much info on kendo, but Tom Hooper-sensei (kendo 6th dan, iaido 6th dan) is a wonderful teacher in iaido and Pam Parker-sensei (iaido 4th dan) is great too. If you're lucky, you might get to study the Yagyu Shinkage-ryu with Meik Skoss as well. Not to mention great company for after-practice beer :)

The Ken Zen Dojo is now located in Downtown Manhattan, 54 Thomas St. This being a new place, they couldn't practice there for a while and I'm not too sure if they have already started again. If you're interested, contact me by e-mail (andrew_a@abbyy.com) and I'll send you Parker-sensei's e-mail address.

Another place there is, is Shidogakuin, at 43rd (?) St. (close to Grand Central), lead by Shozo Kato-sensei (kendo kyoshi 7th dan, iaido kyoshi 7th dan). They teach Muso Shinden-ryu iaido and kendo.

Hope this helps,