PDA

View Full Version : Metal Tekko Makers

TheBadger
1st February 2008, 14:02
Does anyone know if a manufacturer of metal Tekko other than Shureido?

TonyU
1st February 2008, 14:09
Try the following. Keep in mind I'm not familiar with their products nor their service. They're just links I'm aware of.

http://www.weaponsconnection.com/

http://www.crane-mountain.com/index_files/Page1403.htm

TimJurgens
11th February 2008, 11:41
http://ryukyu-kobudo.com/images/buki_images/tekko_practice.jpg

They are the right size and about the right weight, and have the added benefit of not turining your Gi yellow from oil or rust, and best of all law enforcement don't blow a gasket when they see them.

If you want the real deal however I suggest having a word with some metal crafters in your local area. If you can convince them to make a few pair for you it will probably save some cash and will keep business local.

TimJurgens
11th February 2008, 11:55
Try the following. Keep in mind I'm not familiar with their products nor their service. They're just links I'm aware of.

http://www.weaponsconnection.com/

http://www.crane-mountain.com/index_files/Page1403.htm

I had a quick look at the Weapons Connection site. Those prices are marked up about 400 to 1000% on some of the items. The Kama look very similar to a pair I bought in an Okinawan hardware store for 1400 Yen or about $12.00 each. They are selling on the site for about $120.00.
Tonfa go for about $60.00 here and they list for 100 to 300 Dollars.
Sai here also go about $70.00 and list for 300 to 500 Dollars.
I bought my Tekko for around $40.00 from Shureido, the site lists them for $200.

The people running the weapons connection are providing a service, and they deserve to be paid for it, but you might want to explore your options before you break out your plastic.

TheBadger
11th February 2008, 16:28
Yeah, I can get them from Shureido for about $60 now. I like the blue practice things you have in the picture. Where did you get them? What are they?

JS3
11th February 2008, 20:37
Tonfa go for about $60.00 here and they list for 100 to 300 Dollars.
Sai here also go about $70.00 and list for 300 to 500 Dollars.
I bought my Tekko for around $40.00 from Shureido, the site lists them for $200.

The people running the weapons connection are providing a service, and they deserve to be paid for it, but you might want to explore your options before you break out your plastic.

Those are great prices.
Shureido's website (http://www.karatedo.co.jp/shureido/english/e_kakaku/e_kakaku.html) has sai (m) for $100 and their tonfa (m) for $66

harleyt26
12th February 2008, 01:32
"C:\Users\harleyt26\Documents\Ties school 009.JPG" these are the ones Jeff Hawkins makes for my dojo.He has several sets ready to sell,he said he would take $60 a pair.
Tom Hodges

TimJurgens
12th February 2008, 12:01
Walk in prices are a little cheaper, but my memory might be a little off. Even so a Sai at 100 Bucks vs 300 is significant savings.

JS3
12th February 2008, 12:58
Walk in prices are a little cheaper, but my memory might be a little off. Even so a Sai at 100 Bucks vs 300 is significant savings.

Well thats not a fair comparison.
Shureido's stainless steel sai are $270, not including shipping and other fees for ordering outside the country.
When I purchased my set from Weapons Connection I paid about $300 for a stainless steel set including shipping.
Plus they were made to my specifications.
Not realy much of a price difference.

Now I just looked at his site and they must have recently gone up.
Thats understandable, one man making a custom product vs
a company mass producing a standarized one.

TheBadger
12th February 2008, 20:20
How do I see a picture of these? Does Jeff Hawkins have a website?

harleyt26
13th February 2008, 02:05
I am sorry I do not know how to put it in as a link you will have to cut and paste this C:\Users\harleyt26\Documents\Ties school 009.JPG he has no website he is a professional welder,I convinced him to make these for our dojo.But he has many more sets than we can use.He also makes them in stainless steel,very pretty.He has made a few sets of very nice sai also.
Tom Hodges

JS3
13th February 2008, 02:20
I am sorry I do not know how to put it in as a link you will have to cut and paste this C:\Users\harleyt26\Documents\Ties school 009.JPG he has no website he is a professional welder,I convinced him to make these for our dojo.But he has many more sets than we can use.He also makes them in stainless steel,very pretty.He has made a few sets of very nice sai also.
Tom Hodges

Tom,
That path point directly to the hard drive on your computer.
It's not accessible over the internet.
You would need to post the picture on a hosting site like http://photobucket.com/ .
Then paste the link here.

TimJurgens
13th February 2008, 10:28
Well thats not a fair comparison.
Shureido's stainless steel sai are $270, not including shipping and other fees for ordering outside the country.
When I purchased my set from Weapons Connection I paid about $300 for a stainless steel set including shipping.
Plus they were made to my specifications.
Not realy much of a price difference.

Now I just looked at his site and they must have recently gone up.
Thats understandable, one man making a custom product vs
a company mass producing a standarized one.

First off don't bother with stainless, there is no need for it or for chrome for that matter. Black and nasty is fine. Second, if you come here you can walk in and buy a pair off the shelf. If I want to compare my cost at Shureido to what I would have to pay at the weapons connection I would have to add international shipping to get them here. If I did that then the cost would go up significantly, maybe to 370 Dollars. Looking at the price differences, for the cost of Sai, Bo, Tonfa, Tekko, Eku, Nunchaku, Rochin and Tinbe, and Kama you can buy an airline ticket, cover your cost in a hotel for a week buy all the weapons here and still come out ahead. Round trip tickets in the off season will be less than the $2000.00 or so that you will save.

Also Shureido has varying sizes, so while it won't be custom, you can find a pair that will fit. I also like Shureido Sai over any other I have seen, but if you are happy with yours then by all means please use them in good health.

TimJurgens
13th February 2008, 10:31
I bought them at a local sports store for about $7 each. The only real drawback is that they don't clank when you smash then together, nor do they have the protrusions that the other Tekko have.

I would also like to restate that going to a local metal worker or welder is probably a good option. It builds skill in the area, will ensure you get yours to size, and will save you some bucks.

JS3
13th February 2008, 11:15
First off don't bother with stainless, there is no need for it or for chrome for that matter. Black and nasty is fine. Second, if you come here you can walk in and buy a pair off the shelf. If I want to compare my cost at Shureido to what I would have to pay at the weapons connection I would have to add international shipping to get them here. If I did that then the cost would go up significantly, maybe to 370 Dollars. Looking at the price differences, for the cost of Sai, Bo, Tonfa, Tekko, Eku, Nunchaku, Rochin and Tinbe, and Kama you can buy an airline ticket, cover your cost in a hotel for a week buy all the weapons here and still come out ahead. Round trip tickets in the off season will be less than the $2000.00 or so that you will save.

Also Shureido has varying sizes, so while it won't be custom, you can find a pair that will fit. I also like Shureido Sai over any other I have seen, but if you are happy with yours then by all means please use them in good health.

Don't get me wrong, I have a set of the "black and nasty" from Shureido (cost me $185 back in '97 from Shureido in CA), and they are me favorite.
I just wanted to compare similar materials and prices.

By the way, just for fun I grabbed an old copy of Black Belt from 1980
Shureido had sai for $32 and tonfa for $20, hell my instructor bought his
in the late 60's on Okinawa for $3.00

harleyt26
13th February 2008, 11:24
I agree with Jurgens sensei on Shureido weapons being at the top in quality and the best investment for your money.Some others are very nice but the additional investment is not necessary.I hope this link to a photobucket picture works.http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/harleyt26/Tiesschool009.jpg

JS3
13th February 2008, 11:35
That worked.
They look nice.

TimJurgens
13th February 2008, 12:38
I remember when I first came to Okinawa in 1987 and one dollar was about 180 Yen. That was 21 years ago and I had a full head of hair. Now the dollar goes for 105 Yen, but the prices are still fairly similar if you are paid in Yen. Dojo fees are still 5000 a month.

TimJurgens
13th February 2008, 12:40
That worked.
They look nice.

...and how appropriate is it that they are sitting on what looks like a first aid kit? Smack the guy and then patch him up later.

harleyt26
13th February 2008, 13:10
Yes Jurgens sensei it is a first aid kit and it gets used more frequently than any of us like.But usually for injuries sustained by youself to yourself.Weapons training can be dangerous while learning the proper methods and quickly learning why the wrong methods are wrong.Then you get to relearn these lessons later when you think you have everything down and are reminded constantly why sensei says"umm maybe more train"!
Tom Hodges

TimJurgens
14th February 2008, 13:08
Tom,

Please call me Tim, I don't stand on formality and even after doing martial arts for about 26 years now there are so many people out there so much better than me I prefer to reserve the title of Sensei for them.

I think the only weapon I haven't hit myself with yet is the Surichin, and that just because it usually stays coiled up on a hook in the wall. There aren't many people training with it these days so I am afraid I may never get the chance to learn it.

Sanseru
14th February 2008, 19:39
Well if its any consolation, I've hit myself with the suruchin. Come to think about it I've also been stabbed in the hand with a rochin. Needless to say my teacher, Minowa sensei, was not impressed with my stupidity. LOL :-)

harleyt26
15th February 2008, 11:17
Anyone else still occasionally get those little dots on their finger tips from the nunchaku?Or the bruise on your forearm from your own elbow?
Tom Hodges