PDA

View Full Version : Influence on the Okinawan MA and on the Japanese MA as well

Kamuii
11th January 2001, 07:55
Greetings to all! :)

I have two questions about the relation/influence between the Okinawan MA and the Japanese MA. (I know they might not admit it, but lets give it a try! ;) )

1) How did the Japanese MA influence the Okinawan MA in general?

2) How did the Okinawan MA influence the Japanese MA in general?

Best,

Jari Virta
13th January 2001, 08:11
Originally posted by KAMUII
1) How did the Japanese MA influence the Okinawan MA in general?

Some coverage about this issue can be found in the Karate-Do Chapter of Donn F. Draeger's "Modern Bujutsu & Budo" (Martial Arts And Ways Of Japan, vol. 3). Check it out!

[Edited by Jari Virta on 01-13-2001 at 04:00 AM]

Kamuii
13th January 2001, 08:18
Jari:

Thanks for your reply. :) I will look into it.

Now, does anyone know about my second question?

Best,

Paul Wollos
13th January 2001, 15:26
Hello,

Sorry to be little off-topic here, however I feel it may be important infomation what I'm about to write.

My friend (he is Japanese) once told me that there is an interesting evidence of DNA structure:
some specific Okinawan race of dog has a very similar (alamost same) DNA as it's cousin in Hokkaido. This drew line to another issue - humans. Guess what: there is an evidence of original residents of Hokkaido, named Ainu, being closely related to some original Okinawan people. Again, I only write what I have been told.

On MA issue: I'm practitioner of Daito Ryu. Looking from my point of view on some techniques of Okinawan grappling arts (called I think Tuitejutsu, or Ti), there are some astonishing similarities. I mean, not jujutsu, as you may say that even Chinese Chin-Na is very similar. I mean real similarities in some techniques used in Daitoryu and Okinawa Ti.
Considering that Okinawa was under Japanese influence for a long time, there is possibility that some methods were combined (Okinawan / Chinese grappling arts with Daitoryu or maybe Aikido).

The rest, I will leave without further comments... everyone can draw individual conclusions...

sincerely

Paul Wollos

Hank Irwin
17th January 2001, 00:42
Hello fellas! Hope everyone is doing fine. On said topic; Most of what I have learned about influences from Japan to Okinawa were mostly of fencing influence. I am sure fist arts were prominent within ALL shinken study. I know that there is a disdain for the Japanese by many Okinawans. Maybe not so much today, as there was years ago. Mostly in part because the Japanese looked down on the Okinawan's like they were trash. I think that's enough to turn your stomach alone. The Satsuma Campaign also. The older Okinawan people and many of their clan will NEVER forget what has been done to them. The Chinese have felt much the same about the Japanese. I (imo)think the Chinese influence to Japan came by way of Okinawa. I don't think Japanese arts have ever influenced the Okinawans to do things one way or another with the exception of "standardization" of certain protocols/rules. Not technique. In these days things have changed though, modern. That word, and that word alone speaks for itself, Modern; changing with the times. Traditional aspects in all walks of life change, with modernizational (I call it alternative thinking) thinking. Unfortunate, but true. It's just lucky, for quite a few of us, that we were fortunate enough to have found a teacher that has his roots in traditional Budo and a REAL lineage from it's birthplace.