PDA

View Full Version : Anecdotes

Kaenzig
8th February 2008, 15:32
Reading the old threads I have come across dozens of anecdotes of Sensei, but at the moment they are scattered all over the internet. Maybe it would be a good idea to gather them all in here. I don't know if there has already been a thread with this aim so please apologise if this is the case.

Tripitaka of AA
8th February 2008, 18:55
In their own words?...

Kaenzig
8th February 2008, 20:48
In their own words?...

It's up to you.

Tripitaka of AA
9th February 2008, 06:15
I prefer people to tell their own stories, otherwise history becomes legend and legend becomes myth... there are too many myths in the history of martial arts.

Although we've all heard some great stories over the years, it is still best to hear "from the horse's mouth". If we wrote hem ALL on here, what would Sensei have left to talk about in class :)

Indar
9th February 2008, 09:40
I prefer people to tell their own stories,

stories are nice.........................action is better...............

Tripitaka of AA
9th February 2008, 10:30
Quite so. Much better.... which is why it is always preferable to hear the stories from those that have actually done the actions too. I think we are agreeing.

Kaenzig
9th February 2008, 12:17
That's okay I just thought it would be a good idea to gather the stories which are already out there in the old threads. I think its a pity that martial arts history relies that much on oral transmission. I think if no one ever writes down these stories they will eventually fall into oblivion.

Btw whats wrong with myths?

Tripitaka of AA
9th February 2008, 14:30
myths = fiction
legends = fact

Myths exagerate and embelish the truth... Shorinji Kempo is twentieth century, there should be no need for myths.

I like all those old stories too. I just get nervous when the person telling the story is prone to make subtle, often unintentional, adjustments to make a better tale. I do it all the time, for which I blame my Mum, who never lets the truth get in the way of a good story ;).

Kaenzig
9th February 2008, 15:26
myths = fiction
legends = fact

Myths exagerate and embelish the truth... Shorinji Kempo is twentieth century, there should be no need for myths.

According to Wikipedia: "In the academic fields of mythology, mythography, or folkloristics, a myth (mythos) is a sacred story concerning the origins of the world or how the world and the creatures in it came to be in their present form. The active beings in myths are generally gods and heroes. Myths often are said to take place before recorded history begins. In saying that a myth is a sacred narrative, what is meant is that a myth is believed to be true by people who attach religious or spiritual significance to it. Use of the term by scholars does not imply that the narrative is either true or false. See also legend and tale.

A myth in popular use is something that is widely thought to be false. This usage, which is often pejorative, arose from labeling the religious myths and beliefs of other cultures as being incorrect, but it has spread to cover non-religious beliefs as well. Because of this usage, many people take offense when the religious narratives they believe to be true are called myths (see Religion and mythology for more information). This usage is frequently confused with legend, fiction, fairy tale, folklore, fable, and urban legend, each of which has a distinct meaning in academia."

I assume you use the word myth in its popular use but on the other hand you associate it with legend which you take as fact. If you used myth in its popular use I have no argument with you but if not I warn you: You might have started an end- and fruitless debate with a lord of the rings-loving fantasy freak for saying there is no need for myths in the twentieth century :D.

Indar
9th February 2008, 16:26
I think we are agreeing.

I think you are deluded.
Go and do something useful.

Tripitaka of AA
9th February 2008, 16:45
See the PM, before I invite you to swap places with me. :)

Indar
9th February 2008, 19:25
See the PM, before I invite you to swap places with me. :)

are you asking for pity, or sympathy?

Rob Gassin
9th February 2008, 22:44
13 posts down and still no anecdotes :laugh:!

Nadine
9th February 2008, 22:57
That's okay I just thought it would be a good idea to gather the stories which are already out there in the old threads.

Did I overread something?:cry:

Indar
10th February 2008, 08:11
13 posts down and still no anecdotes :laugh:!

I have an interesting anecdote about a Senior WSKO instructor and a weapon.
Unfortunately, if I repeated it here I would probably be killed. :laugh:

Rob Gassin
10th February 2008, 08:57
I have an interesting anecdote about a Senior WSKO instructor and a weapon.
Unfortunately, if I repeated it here I would probably be killed. :laugh:

Funny you should say that, the 2 anecdotes I can think of, would reflect negatively on SK, this is why I have not posted them.

Indar
10th February 2008, 09:26
Funny you should say that, the 2 anecdotes I can think of, would reflect negatively on SK, this is why I have not posted them.
If they concern Todoroki Sensei then that is probably very wise. ;)

Rob Gassin
10th February 2008, 12:17
If they concern Todoroki Sensei then that is probably very wise. ;)

As a matter of fact, they do not.