PDA

View Full Version : Book: "The Truth About Daito-ryu Aiki", by Takahashi Masaru

Tatsushinden
8th February 2008, 20:22
Hi,

i was wondering if anyone read this new book of Takahashi,one of the senior students of Sagawa sohan?

any in-detph info or just a biography?

Strange,there isn't a topic on this book on any of the MA fora around!with aiki being the buzz nowadays and especially from the seclusive Sagawa camp,would expected much commotion about it:D

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=26330

Jim Sorrentino
8th February 2008, 20:40
Peter Goldsbury mentioned it favorably on AikiWeb:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?p=197844#post197844

I believe it is also available in paperback for about $29 US from Amazon.jp.

Jim Sorrentino

Tatsushinden
10th February 2008, 20:52
yeah found that as well,ordered the book via Budovideos.

But since the book is Japansese,some things would be tricky to read haha:P

Nathan Scott
13th February 2008, 04:03
[Post deleted by user]

Tatsushinden
18th February 2008, 17:28
Received it today :D

it is a very nice book indeed,lots of drawings,diagrams and pictures!

unfortunately,i still can't read Japanese...:P but the pics en explanatory drawings and such are quite helpfull if you have little background knowledge of daito ryu aiki

skylinerR32
14th May 2009, 01:35
Sorry Nathan, slight thread drift...and while we're on the subject of books from Sagawa's long-time students, would you have any idea when Masaru Takahashi's The Truth of the Daito Ryu Aiki of Yukiyoshi Sagawa might see a bi-lingual English-Japanese edition?

Thanks,
Jim Yang

Ellis Amdur
14th May 2009, 06:19
Re Takahashi: I investigated this with the publisher. The answer I got back was that he did not want his book translated, that he didn't feel that it was a book that non-Japanese should read.

P Goldsbury
14th May 2009, 08:09
Re Takahashi: I investigated this with the publisher. The answer I got back was that he did not want his book translated, that he didn't feel that it was a book that non-Japanese should read.

Well, I hope he is not too upset that some of us non-Japanese can read it in the original--and can even quote and translate extracts for our fellow non-Japanese, always for purely academic purposes, of course. :smilejapa

PAG

Josh Reyer
14th May 2009, 08:20
Well, I hope he is not too upset that some of us non-Japanese can read it in the original--and can even quote and translate extracts for our fellow non-Japanese, always for purely academic purposes, of course. :smilejapa

PAG
Indeed. When I read Mr. Amdur's post I thought, "Well, that's an argument against publication, not translation..."

skylinerR32
14th May 2009, 13:37

Mr. Amdur, thank you for the update. I'll leave Mr. Takahashi's recollections of Yukiyoshi Sagawa's teachings to interested, Japanese proficient classmates :)

Sincerely,
Jim Yang