PDA

View Full Version : New trainee

Nancy
14th February 2008, 13:20
Hello everyone. I've recently started taking Ryu Syo Kai Karate and I was wondering, as a beginner, what I should be concentrating on (conditioning and karate-wise) to get better. Should I be practicing certain things every day or should I just stick to training in karate class only (which I have twice a week)? I know some of you are sensei; what do you recommend to a beginner who wants to improve?

Nancy Ladouceur

Duanew
14th February 2008, 13:58
I would first consult your instructor. In the beginning I would suggest you only practice in the dojo under watchful eyes to avoid creating bad habits. Once you looked liked you were competent with a few techniques I would tell you to train daily-at least half an hour. Perhaps kicking drills, basics, a few kata. Aerobic and weights to supplement.
At that point my attitude for students is the dojo is for learning-home is for training. Good luck.

Duane Wolfe

Timothy.G.B.
14th February 2008, 21:20
Hello everyone. I've recently started taking Ryu Syo Kai Karate and I was wondering, as a beginner, what I should be concentrating on (conditioning and karate-wise) to get better. Should I be practicing certain things every day or should I just stick to training in karate class only (which I have twice a week)? I know some of you are sensei; what do you recommend to a beginner who wants to improve?

Nancy Ladouceur

I would recommend asking the question of your instructor. Otherwise, practice whatever you were taught in your previous classes. Do it over and over again. If you are doing it wrong, no matter because your instructor will fix it.

My opinion,
Tim

Timothy.G.B.
14th February 2008, 21:22
BTW, who is your instructor? I know a couple of people in Senaha Sensei's organization...

Nancy
15th February 2008, 00:17
John Cole is my instructor. Check his website at www.sudburymma.com.

Jitsumania
15th February 2008, 05:30
The more you practice what was shown in class, you tend to imbed it in kinesthetic (muscle) memory. The brain and the body connect better and the moves that felt unusual early on then start to feel like they flow better without trying as hard. Repetition is the key. Work your basics (kicking/punching etc.) and your Katas daily. There are those who believe that Kata training no longer has any value but I believe it does. Even the most basic Kata have awesome Bunkai application. Learn them well. Love doing Kata, Bokken and Jo work in the AM especially when its mild to moderatly cold outside. Supplement with good cardio work for endurance ( I like walk for 2 min, jog for 1 min then sprint for 20-30 seconds and repeat the cycle for about 1-2 miles). Your Sensei may even structure an out of dojo training regimen for you, if you ask. Have done that for various students of mine throughout the years. Good luck on your journey.

Nancy
15th February 2008, 12:23
I've been trying to practice by doing one kata a day and really concentrating on doing all the moves slowly (for now) so I can do it correctly. It's surprising how the kata look so simple but in fact have so many layers... I also need to practice doing my strikes from the hip. It's very hard! I can often do it when it is done at a slower pace and in a static position, but when a partner comes in, out the window! The senior students do it so easily!

TonyU
15th February 2008, 14:39
I've been trying to practice by doing one kata a day and really concentrating on doing all the moves slowly (for now) so I can do it correctly. It's surprising how the kata look so simple but in fact have so many layers... I also need to practice doing my strikes from the hip. It's very hard! I can often do it when it is done at a slower pace and in a static position, but when a partner comes in, out the window! The senior students do it so easily!
Relax! You're not going through anything any one of us or seniors have not gone through. Practicing is fine but don't beat yourself over the head with it.
Everyone learns different and their own pace. Do not think that you'll never get it. You will. Little by little things will fall into place.
Just enjoy your training.

Nancy
15th February 2008, 16:31
Thanks for the advice everyone. I know that when I start something new that I really enjoy, I tend to get a little over excited about it. Patience is definitely something I need to work on! :)

cejames
15th February 2008, 16:35
Progress comes from effort. One must polish the spirit. My practice motto:

PRACTICE (again and again), PRACTICE ( till you get it right)
PRACTICE (till it becomes second nature), PRACTICE (over and over)
PRACTICE (1,000 times then practice more).

Duanew
16th February 2008, 10:31
PRACTICE signing your name at the end of your posts:)

Duane Wolfe

Nancy
16th February 2008, 14:58
I put my name as my signature so I wouldn't have to sign it each and every time. Doesn't that come down to the same thing?

powerof0ne
18th February 2008, 04:18
I put my name as my signature so I wouldn't have to sign it each and every time. Doesn't that come down to the same thing?
Yes Nancy, you are correct.

Mitch Saret
18th February 2008, 13:43
I think that was in reference to cejames.

Nancy
19th February 2008, 13:44
Yes, it was. I just mistook it as being aimed at me.

andy.m
19th February 2008, 16:11
If there's one thing I would advise a beginner to work on, away from the Dojo.
It would be stance's and movement in and out of them. These can be done at home with ease and don't require a partner. As to fitness away from the Dojo, if you don't want to join a gym ( and I find too many of them an expensive waste of time.) Get yourself a set of Dumbbell's and a couple of books from the library.

FFMAC
19th February 2008, 20:39
Its good to see that you are wanting to practice outside of the dojo. I think practices lessons that you have learned is good to keep them fresh in your mind and body. I also agree that if you make mistakes your sensei will find them and fix them. Train with a open mind and a will to learn and you will be just fine. Just don't get impatient and everything will fall into place.

Best of luck to you!!

trevorg
25th February 2008, 16:34
I've been trying to practice by doing one kata a day and really concentrating on doing all the moves slowly (for now) so I can do it correctly. It's surprising how the kata look so simple but in fact have so many layers

Hi Nancy

You must be moving on a helluva pace if you are practicing different kata already. Most beginners I know are usually given one to learn. Anyway, without repeating what has been the good advice you will find on e-budo, simply listen and learn from your sensei. Take no notice of others and do not feel you are more or less than they. Always practice at home, or during breaks at work or college, but don't try to do any flashy self made up moves, just what you've learnt; with feeling, with power, with speed.

"1,000 days of training a beginner; 10,000 days of training a master".

Good luck with your future training.

osu
Trevor

Nancy
25th February 2008, 18:29
Well, I've learned the Fukyo katas, and started learning Sanchin, which I find very hard. I don't have the whole tension thing going, but that will come with time, I know. The hardest thing though is the hard breathing. I have no idea how the senior students do it and I've asked. I just don't get the concept yet I guess.

trevorg
25th February 2008, 19:14
Well, I've learned the Fukyo katas, and started learning Sanchin, which I find very hard. I don't have the whole tension thing going, but that will come with time, I know. The hardest thing though is the hard breathing. I have no idea how the senior students do it and I've asked. I just don't get the concept yet I guess.

If you don't mind me asking, did you practice any other karate before you started at Ryu Syo Kai Karate ?

Osu
Trevor

TonyU
25th February 2008, 19:39

Like you said you'll get it. One day with it'll "click".

ZachZinn
25th February 2008, 20:36

Sanchin is (imo obviously) the hardest Goju kata to understand, we do it sans the the muscular tension, and our ibuki is probably less intense, but the concept is the same. At any rate once you "get" sanchin on some level, other kata will fall into place, at least as far as Goju - based kata goes. Here's a shameless plug for my teacher's book on sanchin:

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing/books/external/way-of-sanchin-kata

Check it out. Might conflict with the way you're being taught, I don't know, but down the road if you want insight into the kata i've found it to be a great resource.

Nancy
26th February 2008, 14:59
Thanks for the link ZachZinn. I read what was offered on the site and it was interesting. Definitely a must buy! I'm sure it will help me better understand sanchin.

Trevorg, I've never practiced karate before my current one. However, I did practice a Korean art called Dahn Moo Do. Basically, it's an amalgamation of Kuk Sool Won and Hapkido. Here's the link, if you're interested. http://www.dahnmoodo.com/. I was with them for many years. Recently, I was restless, like I needed something new. I guess the art taught me all it could and it was time to move on... As you can guess, the two martial arts are VERY different. But, I love what I'm doing now!

trevorg
26th February 2008, 20:32
I've never practiced karate before my current one. However, I did practice a Korean art called Dahn Moo Do. Basically, it's an amalgamation of Kuk Sool Won and Hapkido. Here's the link, if you're interested. http://www.dahnmoodo.com/. I was with them for many years. Recently, I was restless, like I needed something new. I guess the art taught me all it could and it was time to move on... As you can guess, the two martial arts are VERY different. But, I love what I'm doing now!

Ah,that probably explains why you are able to pick up a number of kata fairly quickly. Welcome to karate - enjoy.:)

Osu
Trevor