PDA

View Full Version : HOW MANY JO KATA ARE THERE, AFTER ALL?

Yamantaka
11th January 2001, 17:47
Hello!

What's the difference between Jo Suburi, Kumijo and Jo Kata? And How many Jo Kata are there(I heard about 13 movement Kata, 18 movement Kata, 20 movement kata and 31 movement kata) ?
Can anybody help me?
Best regards
Yamantaka

Waveman
11th January 2001, 23:14
Hi Yamantaka
From my Limited & very finite knowledge of Aikido & Aikijo, here is my Diffinitions:-
Jo Suburi = Solo Jo Exercises, to aid in the development of Jo technique & movment with the Jo.
Kumijo = Is partnered Jo Techniques, or putting the Suburi into action with a partner.
Jo Kata = A set group of Techniques in pre arranged patterns.
As for how many Jo Kata there is I have only heard of the 13 step & the 31 Step Jo kata's, but i Guess the answer is as infinate as how many Aikido schools there are?

[Edited by waveman on 01-11-2001 at 05:17 PM]

jan v.d. zee
12th January 2001, 08:24
And there are of course the misogi no jo kata.
One kata consists of 75 movements, sort of "divided" in 3 levels wich builds up diamond(static, and short movements), then willow(a bit more dynamic) and then flowing, ki.
My sensei told me that there is another misogi no jo kata wich consists of less movements.

But, then again, whenever O-sensei peformed the misogi no jo it was always different...

Well, that's my input.

Regards,

Richard Elias
15th January 2001, 11:53
The jo techniques of the "iwama" style.

20 jo suburi
13 step jo kata -w/partner application
31 step jo kata -w/partner application
10 kumi jo -jo vs jo
7 ken tai jo -jo vs bokken
jo dori -staff taking-unarmed against jo
jo nage -retaining and throwing when the staf is grabbed.

There are also several henka or variations to the ken tai jo, and about ten standard forms each of jo nage/dori

There are also several exersizes consisting of different suburi combined together, to teach going from one right into the next without hesitation.

Yamantaka
15th January 2001, 12:09
Thank you, Elias Sama and all :

You were nice and helpful.

Yamantaka