PDA

View Full Version : kenjutsu in Seattle/Tacoma WA

snailking19
18th February 2008, 05:03
I want to be trained in the art of kenjutsu. I have no previous training but am serious about what I do. I just do not know how to find/get in contact with any dojo around my area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steven Schumacher

Chuck Clark
18th February 2008, 05:20
Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto Ryu is taught north of Seattle in Woodinville by Philip Relnick sensei.

Check out this page: http://tenshinsho-den-katori-shinto-ryu.org/

Brian Owens
18th February 2008, 06:41
In addition to the TSKSR mentioned above, there is also -- among others -- Shinkage Ryu in Seattle, through the affiliate of the Higashi Shinpukan Dojo.

Also, although it's Iaido rather than Kenjutsu, there is very good Muso Shinden Ryu here.

Send me a PM if you'd like more info on either of the above.

Jeremy Hulley
18th February 2008, 18:37
As always people are welcome to check us out.
www.shinto-ryu,net

Jim O'Connell
19th February 2008, 01:13
Garron Billick teaches Nami ryu in Seattle

http://www.garronbillick.com/martialarts-namiryu.htm

Regards,
Jim O'Connell

Nii
19th February 2008, 01:15
You are privileged to be near one of the few legit TSKSR dojo in the world. Go there! =)

Charles Mahan
19th February 2008, 01:37
Seattle is also home to Scott Irey-sensei of Yamanouchi Ha Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. He's worth checking out if you get the chance. I believe he's up on the north side of Seattle.

Joseph Svinth
19th February 2008, 02:44
Also also consider the Pacific Northwest Kendo Federation. In a 20-mile radius from Federal Way, there are clubs in Burien, Renton, Puyallup, Tacoma, and Seattle. http://www.kendo-pnkf.org/clubs/directory.php

John Connolly
19th February 2008, 04:01
...In other words, ya can't turn a corner in the Pacific Northwest without being stuck with a katana. :nin:

snailking19
26th February 2008, 02:07
Thank you everyone for your input to my question. Now I can finally start practicing kenjutsu!
Steven Schumacher

Nii
26th February 2008, 02:18
Which ryu did you decide to go with?

snailking19
2nd March 2008, 05:04
I think that i am going to go with the shinkage ryu, but i am still waiting to receive information about the dojo. If that doesn't work out then i would probably go to the TSKSR, but i have emailed Phil Relnick sensei and have yet to get a reply. So, just for a lack of communication, i might go with the nami ryu. I'll reply with a certain answer once i get (or don't get) the information from the shinkage ryu place and/or the TSKSR place.

Steven Schumacher

pgsmith
3rd March 2008, 17:48
Steven,
Please bear in mind that Shinkage ryu and TSKSR are both koryu. I don't know if it is the case here, but many koryu still require interviews and references, and are quite strict in their protocol. Shooting off an email requesting information is very likely to lead nowhere when dealing with the koryu arts.

It's not that they're snobs, it's just that this is the way it's been for centuries, so that's the way it tends to still be today. The koryu can be extremely particular about whom they allow to join.