PDA

View Full Version : Rice,Rice,Rice

Mollberg
31st May 2000, 22:05
Were do you get good rice,and i mean short grain japanese not that long grain crap they sell every were,I would also like to know how to cook good rice...any help???

Margaret Lo
31st May 2000, 22:41
Long grain or short grain its quality that counts. Japanese rice can be found in any Asian food markets. For sure you won't find it in general supermarkets.

As to cooking - get yourself an electric cooker, they have built in temperature and time controls, also at the Asian markets.

If the cooker is too much money, use a teflon pot, bring to a boil, then turn down to medium heat. Ratio of water to rice is tricky, depends on the type of rice.

-M-

kenkyusha
1st June 2000, 04:45
Howdy,

Many supermarkets (up here anyway) have okay Japanese rice (though it is often in the Filipino section?!!?!). As for ratios, 1 (rice) to 1 1/4 is a good place to start (especially for sushi/sashimi which will have more liquid added to it after). Any heavy-bottomed saucepan with a tight-fitting lid is fine for rice cooking.

So:
1) Measure the rice and water, add them to the pan.
2) Bring the rice to a boil, then lower it to a simmer.
3) Simmer for 12-15 minutes. When done, turn off the heat, but allow the rice to sit (lid on) for 5 minutes.
Things to watch out for are rinsing (unless you fully drain the rice, it will have extra moisture, and so requires adjusting the recipe), and stirring (because Gohan is so glutenous, it will make the clean-up a pain in the rear). Hope that helps some.

Be well,
Jigme

------------------
Jigme Chobang
Kenkyusha@bigfoot.com
--------------
Amateurs worry about Strategy. Dilettantes worry about Tactics. Professionals worry about Logistics--
Unknown

Steve Williams
17th September 2000, 22:36
May be helpful http://products.chefshop.com/rice.html

In the UK we can get Japanese rice quite easily, many larger supermarkets stock it, usually in the "ethnic foods" section.

Must say you have it good in the states, we cannot order many foodstuffs online

Nick
15th October 2000, 13:45
Nah, we have to order things online- we have almost no asian food markets, and even less 'ethnic food' sections in the markets.

Oh well.

Peace,

Nick Porter

Steve Williams
18th October 2000, 00:35
I must say that when myself and my wife have been to the States (Utah, Colorado, Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Florida, Arizona and New York city) we have been literally "blown away" by the amount and variety of different foods that were available in the supermarkets, even the small ones in little towns.

I am very surprised that you experience trouble with such a "staple" food as rice (japanese style).

I suppose we must have something going for us this side of the pond :D

Rik
27th October 2000, 12:08
Theres a little shop down the road which sells Japanese rice grown in the US, its called 'Nishiki' and so you should be able to find that (in American stores). I have more difficulty getting the sushi vinegar, but also since I am the only one in my family who likes Japanese food it is a real pain making sushi so now I just go to a restauraunt when I feel the need. As well as this, has anyone tried buying sashimi in the South Coast (UK), I'd appreciate any direction.

Claire Bartlett
9th November 2000, 20:47
Hi,
I read in a sushi cookbook ( a very good, very precise, very Japanese book) that some of the best rice for sushi is grown in Califonia and imported to Japan. I have also had Nishiki recommended by a sushi chef. One trick I learned for sushi rice is to place the rinsed and drained rice in a pot with a tight fitting lid (use tin foil placed between pot and lid to get a tighter fit). Place your hand, palm down, flat on the rice and add water to the top of your first knuckle. That way you don't need to worry about measuring cups or if the rice hasn't completely drained. Cover, bring to the boil, then turn the heat to minimum and steam for 15-20 min. Leave the lid on, remove from heat and let stand for 5 min. We are fortunate here in Toronto to have foods from any ethnic background, but Japanese food is definitely the trend coming from the West coast. Hope that helps.
:toast:
Claire