PDA

View Full Version : Weapons in Judo?

macbaine
25th February 2008, 22:03
I was reading some old threads on this forum, and came across a link to this website:
http://www.jigorokano.it/Tecnica.html

The link was posted in the "Atemi in Judo?" thread. Just underneath the Atemi Waza section, there is a Buki Waza heading, which lists "Ken Jitsu," "Bo Jitsu," and "Tanto Jitsu." I have the book "Kodokan Judo" by Jigoro Kano, but not where I can reference it quickly. I seem to recall that book ending with a brief section on the sword, but I'm not certain. I haven't really heard of, or seen, weapons in Judo beyond the website above, and in what I vaguely remember of "Kodokan Judo." Are there weapons in Judo? Is this something that is practiced at the Kodokan among higher ranking Judoka?

lucky1899
26th February 2008, 02:23
Macbaine,

There are weapons in Judo. My Judo instructor gave me a godan video (VHS) (after he received his rokudan) given to him by the Kodokan. In the video there are several techniques done with weapons (sitting and standing stances), mostly defenses against weapons (versus offensive techniques). If I can get a chance to put the video on DVD, I'll put it up on youtube.

IMHO, the techniques are very basic and nothing you wouldn't find in any decent jujutsu/self-defense school.

Yours in Budo,

A. DeLuna

PeteBoyes
26th February 2008, 11:01
The use of weapons is mostly confined to Katas.

Within the katas (Goshin-Jitsu, Kime-no-kata, etc) you'll find 'dagger', long stick, sword, and pistol.

epramberg
10th March 2008, 16:25
The use of weapons is mostly confined to Katas.

Within the katas (Goshin-Jitsu, Kime-no-kata, etc) you'll find 'dagger', long stick, sword, and pistol.

That is interesting. I always thought the most of Kano's genius was in developing an art that is not dependant on the use of weaponry from one that is. Koryu Jujitsu (including Shinto Muso Ryu which Judo was developed from) is largely only done right if you know how to at least use a sword or a knife.

Introducing weapons would pretty much turn Judo back into Jujitsu. Just looking at Judo you can see that Judoka don't move like swordsmen, they move like unarmed grapplers. That is very interesting.

jfkcotter
10th March 2008, 16:54
including Shinto Muso Ryu which Judo was developed from)
Check your facts and retry.

PeteBoyes
12th March 2008, 08:37
That is interesting. I always thought the most of Kano's genius was in developing an art that is not dependant on the use of weaponry from one that is. Koryu Jujitsu (including Shinto Muso Ryu which Judo was developed from) is largely only done right if you know how to at least use a sword or a knife.

Introducing weapons would pretty much turn Judo back into Jujitsu. Just looking at Judo you can see that Judoka don't move like swordsmen, they move like unarmed grapplers. That is very interesting.

Perhaps I should have clarified that Tori is always 'unarmed'. The katas show principles used in the defence from an 'armed' attacker.

Judo does not involve the teaching of 'armed/weapons' techniques.

Chris McLean
12th March 2008, 15:12

Incorrect
Look here: Goshin-Jitsu
Interesting how the human mind works many times we have no idea what we dont know. We dont know what the surface of Venus is like either doesn't mean it does not exist just because we have not seen it.

Jay Vail
15th March 2008, 12:37
at http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncframe.htm toward the bottom of the page are links to a 1918 manual of self defense for the US Army by a CPT Smith titled "The Secrets of Jujitsu." The goshinjutsu techniques are derived from Smith's judo training in Japan up to 1916. It's not a bad reference for the judo inventory of anti-weapon techniques, among other things.