PDA

View Full Version : Shinden Fudo-ryu Sojutsu?

George Kohler
29th February 2008, 13:10
Shinden Fudo Ryu is also a Sojutsu Ryu originating from Hozo-in Sojutsu.

Again, how do we know this?

The following is the entry for Shinden Fudo ryu in Louis Frederic’s 'Dictionaire des artes martiaux' (1988), translated by Paul H. Crompton as 'A dictionary of martial arts' (1991)

"Shinden Fudo ryu. A traditional school of So-jutsu or Yari-jutsu, founded in Edo (Tokyo) by Izumo no Kanja Yoshiteru (1429-41) and his successor Yoshikane. According to tradition, the art of the Yari was taught to the founder by the Tengu. His techniques remained a secret until the present day. The school employs several types of Yari or lance, war axes (Ono), ‘war hammers’ (O-tsuchi) and Naginata. It was mainly the Yamabushi who taught in this school".

Who is Louis Frederic?

C'est très intéressant, non?

I am also curious as to where Louis Frederic got his information from. I'm not sure if this information is related to Vonbek's post.

Vonbek, Where can we find out more about the SFR sojutsu related to Hozoin-ryu?

budomuso
29th February 2008, 19:41
The combination of France, the late 80s, Yamabushi, and Shinden Fudo ryu lead me to suspect that he got his information from Sylvain Guintard.

Not sure though.

Vonbek
4th March 2008, 19:34
I've read this in "Encyclopédie des arts martiaux d'Extrême Orient" by Roland Habersetzer.

(poor) Translation: Shinden Fudo Ryu: Bujutsu, traditionnal spear combat school founded in 15th century in Edo by Izumo no Kanja Yoshiteru. This way of fighting, held secret for a long time is said to be taught by Tengu. It was taught almost among Yamabushi. The School was practicing several types of Yari, Naginata and battle axes.

My apologies for mentionning Hozoin, my memory doesn't serve me well :)

Reading this entry once again, makes me think it's the same school which is taught in the Bujinkan.

To Budomuso, Sylvain Guintard is fortunately not the in only Budoka in France.

budomuso
5th March 2008, 18:43
To Budomuso, Sylvain Guintard is fortunately not the in only Budoka in France.

But in 1988, when Louis Frederic’s 'Dictionaire des artes martiaux' was published, I think he was the highest profile Bujinkan member in France and therfore, I suspect, the source of this information.

The following is from the American Bujinkan Dojo's (Van Donk) translation of Hatsumi Masaaki's 'Budo Sensho Sojutsu'. (Over-capitalisation is their's not mine.)

"Let us start with a record of Sojutsu from part of my inherited Densho...According to Shinden Fudo Ryu Dakentaijutsu: It [sojutsu] originated with a native of Shinmon Izumo called Izumo Yoshiteru during the Eikyu period. During the Seicho period, Shinmon Kokanja Yoshikane started the Kushin Fudo Ryu Dakentaijutsu, Swordsmanship, and Sojutsu. This is the first reference regarding this ryu that can be found."

El Guapo-san
9th March 2008, 01:55
There may be something existant along those lines, but in seven years of Budo in northwest Europe, I've never heard of it.

Josef Vlach