PDA

View Full Version : Numbers in karate

Gary Arthur
4th March 2008, 10:01
I have a presentation on friday and I need to know how many people are practicing martial arts in the UK.

It would be handy to have numbers practicing for example Shotokan Karate and Judo.

Anyone please help

Garth

shoshinkan
4th March 2008, 10:23
bja@britishjudo.org.uk

if you e-mail what you need to the British Judo Association they have said they will get some figures back to you, hope that helps.

I would add 20% to that number to allow for non BJA members.

In relation to karate, no idea as what I class as karate would exclude 75% of the UK numbers !

Ed_morris
5th March 2008, 00:15
here are the US numbers:
http://www.geocities.com/nthdegree_news/data/MA-stats.htm

no stats on styles, this is MA total (doesn't include tai chi, yoga etc - but I think it does include boxing, wrestling and MMA)

if the US has about 5 million, and the US population is about 5 times UK, then would that mean there are about 1 million MAists in the UK?

not sure if that's legitimate to say, but anyway - there are the numbers for the US, they may help comparritively. maybe the UK does similar census categories?

good luck with the presentation.

p.s. the %change in the link I gave represents the trend. what it basically shows is MA is becoming more popular with upper-middle class middle-age guys teaching teenagers. :D

Ed_morris
5th March 2008, 04:50
I found the 2004 data, so I added that to the table.

after looking at it again, the 10-year trend (in the US anyway) actually looks like the division of trend is mainly between higher incomes vs. lower incomes.

which actually makes sense in the US - the trends across the board during the Bush administration (2000-present) has been larger gaps in disposable income between rich and poor.

Add to that the rediculous rates for McDojo and MMA fees, and that trend does make sense.

Gary Arthur
5th March 2008, 08:06
Thank You Ed thats very much appreciated

Garth