PDA

View Full Version : Tai Sabaki & Kuzushi nearly always overlooked

Bushidokai Cho
13th March 2008, 14:38
In my experience, the Tai Sabaki (centered, connected body movement) and Kuzushi (getting the opponent off-balance) are nearly always overlooked in "arts" of "pressure point fighting". What most beginners to the art of Kyusho Jutsu seem to overlook is that hitting one or two points is "missing the whole point". That's why some points often mysteriously "work or don't work". The context of the Kyusho Jutsu aspect of bujutsu is energetic, meaning the meridians and the meridial network (Yin Wei and Yang Wei) as a whole must be affected.

One of the most essential aspects of Kyusho Jutsu in Kosho Shorei Ryu is breaking the Dai Mo (the "Girdle Vessle") by gaining effective Kuzushi. The Dai Mo is the only meridian which runs horizontally, not vertically on the body. Think of it like an elastic holding a bunch of straws in a bundle. It runs around the waist (hence the name), and includes LV-13; GB-26, 27, and 28; and BL-23. Some texts say it also includes CV-6 Qi Hai (the repository for all of the qi of the body) and GV-4 Ming Men (the Gate of Destiny: the point associated with Kidney Yang, Will, Courage and Warrior Spirit). So one can easily see how "cutting the elastic"-- weakening this energetic pathway will cause a greatly-diminished capacity to continue the fight or protect one's self from attack.

Still not sure about all of this "energy stuff"? Try standing on one foot, leaning off-balance to the side, and then throwing your best technique. Better yet, imagine yourself in that posture, and then imagine the guy who put you there throwing his best attack at you!

David LoPriore, L.Ac.
Kai Cho, Kosho Shorei Shin Kai
www.OldPineTree.com

Jitsumania
25th April 2008, 00:30
I tend to agree very strongly with you on the issue of Tai sabaki and Kuzushi. It has been my experience that when an opponents balance is broken it makes it much more difficult for them to engage in adequate defense against well focused atemi to the points. Proper disbalancing will create responses that are at times predictable (i.e. Judo) thus creating openings to the weak side making them succeptible to kyusho atemi. By the same token if you are not centered in your attacks (even in dynamic movement) the strikes have a tendency to loose some of the precision needed (even though hitting an adjacent point may salvage the technique sequence). I find that when I am well grounded (good timing, footwork and balance) when delivering atemi, the strike(s) are much more focused and precise.
I will take striking the CV6 over a testicle shot anyday. Fold them up, follow up, and be done with it.;)

Lawrence Fisher
15th May 2008, 18:55
Personally I think that it is more essential to break the composure of your adversary. Ideally to the point that everything ceases and violence doesn't happen.

But, to break the composure of your adversary, effectively to take their mind, then move in hard and fast. This will break the balance of your adversary and open up a multitude of Kyusho. An understanding of the points of kuzushi and the various strikes, locks, throws and misdirections you can use will give you the edge of knowing what points will be available instinctively.

I see it as break composure, break balance, sabaki, atemi, waza, Kyusho (of course your Kyusho and waza can exchange or be the same thing depending on your flavour!)

Interesting thoughts.

Take care,

Lawrence Fihser.