PDA

View Full Version : Jujutsu in CT / NY / NJ area

nnadig
13th March 2008, 15:33
Hi all,
I come from a Hakko Denshin Ryu and Kokodo-ryu and I'm looking for a Jujutsu Dojo in the NY / NJ / CT area.

I'm looking for dojos that train Aiki-derived arts (particularly Hakko-ryu derived) if possible, but I think it would be good to also expand myself a bit and look into other styles of Jujutsu as well. Does anyone have any recommendations or people I might contact? Thanks in advance.

-Nik Nadig

nnadig
13th March 2008, 16:42
Please excuse my grammer, it should say "I come from a Hakko Denshin Ryu and Kokodo-ryu background..."

Can't seem to find the edit button that was there a bit ago...

-Nik Nadig

Ron Tisdale
14th March 2008, 18:39
Jose Garido, Mainline Daito ryu, in New York. He can hook you up with the folks in Phila. and NJ too...

Howard Popkin, Roppokai, in NY.

Both are on this board...search on their names for their posts...

Best,
Ron

Steve Delaney
15th March 2008, 13:22
You also have the New York Seibukan teaching Sekiryukan Sosuishi-ryu and Isshin-ryu karate in the Forest Hills area.

Mark Raugas
16th March 2008, 00:37
The Seibukan is a very good place to train. There is also Daito-ryu Takumakai at the Yushinkan: http://www.yushinkan.org/takumakai/

nnadig
16th March 2008, 14:03
Thanks for all your responses, I will certainly follow up on them. I have been interested in Daito-ryu for a long time, which is one of the reasons I got into a Hakko-ryu off-shoot.

There's a school called Suigestu dojo tht teaches an off-shoot of Hakko-ryu, does anyone have anything to say about them? Please feel free to PM as well.

Thanks.

JJeffer
17th March 2008, 20:34
Clifton NY - Harry Glackin teaches Hakkuryu to a small group of folks.

Call Martial Arts Training Academy 973/772 4899

The regular JJ classes are a modern Gendai style called Goshindo Ryu.

Also ther is an active Judo Group.

Jon Jeffer

Juan Perez
18th March 2008, 23:19
Joseph Svaral might still be teaching jujutsu in the NY area. I know he was trained in Kito-Ryu and other skills but don't remember the specifics. Last I knew, his school was Shinken Dojo and the curriculum was within what was called Shinken Bujutsu. I trained under Svaral Sensei for three years and they were the most I've ever learned in such a short period of time. The man is incredibly skilled. I have had little to no contact with him since entering my current employment.

JJeffer
9th April 2008, 22:16
Clifton NY - Harry Glackin teaches Hakkuryu to a small group of folks.

Call Martial Arts Training Academy 973/772 4899

The regular JJ classes are a modern Gendai style called Goshindo Ryu.

Also ther is an active Judo Group.

Jon Jeffer

should have been Clifton NJ

Jon Jeffer

Larry Feldman
11th April 2008, 20:39
You need to check out Michale DePasquale Jr. His father is credited with bringing Ju Jitsu to the East Coast, and was asked by the Japanese Embassy to supervise the martial arts pavillion and demonstrations at the 1964 Worlds Fair. They originally taught Hakko-Ryu. While still teaching the traditional Hakko-Ryu they have also modified it to be more 'street appropriate'. The sysem is now taught by Michael Jr.

You will not find anyone on the East Coast with more Ju Jitsu experience. He teaches in a small dojo in RiverVale NJ - Bergen County. I believe Mike teaches Thursday nights.

I studied with them from 1977-1980, and had to leave the art because once I left the area I couldn't find anything close to what I had learned.

http://www.mawn.net/yoshitsunedojo.htm