PDA

View Full Version : It's been something like 3 years since last I was here

Hagakure
4th April 2008, 02:17
I was a solid student of Yoshinkan Aikido for some time, every day 5 days a week. On the 29th Feb 2004 I crashed my Motorcycle and suffered some life changing injuries. I have been in rehab' since 6 weeks after the crash and have been annoying my Dr to restart my training. I am both excited and scared and a little dizzy with anticipation.

I have practiced weekly with a friend - left hand only since the crash and am looking forward to training again. I would like to keep you guys updated if you don't mind.

From my past experiences with E-Budo it's a great place to chat and swap advice.

If you've got this far through this post, thanks for reading.

Respect.

P Goldsbury
4th April 2008, 04:23
Hello Stephen,

Welcome to E-Budo. Actually, I have memories of you posting here before.

Can you tell us what kind of injuries you suffered, if it is not too private? I ask because I once hit an old lady crossing the road. I was on my Yamaha FZR 1000, but was barely exceeding the speed limit (perhaps one or two kph over). Without thinking I executed an ukemi, which was clearly very good, as it turned out, and stood up on the road in hanmi, just like in the dojo. I had no injuries, but the suit I was wearing was scratched and torn at the shoulder. The bike was repaired, but I got rid of it soon afterwards.

More relevant to your situation is the operation I had on both knees to remove part of the meniscus. I did some physiotherapy, as prescribed by the hospital, but this was done too severely and the surgeon told me I would have arthritis when I was older; as it has turned out. I will be 64 later this month and seiza is becoming increasingly difficult.

You will find discussions on budo and the body elsewhere in this forum.

Best wishes,

PAG

Hagakure
4th April 2008, 05:36
My old User name was Stephen Bannan - but I've forgotten both the log in and the password and the Username I was using.

I hit the ground, got run over, smashed into a guard rail, then a tree. Walked away with a Severed Triceps and Biceps I shattered elbow snapped Humerous and snapped Ulna and the radius. have bolts, screws, plates, wire and staples in the arm now but it's taken some heavy hits and I Moutain bike now so it's fine. I don't have 100% range but it's close enough. I Ukemi perfectly as one of my mates noticed but it was the guardrail and the tree and the rest of the stuff I hit that was the problem. Learned a bit about the disadvantage of excess speed that day. I guess it's the choices we make though right?

Respect.

Ron Tisdale
4th April 2008, 18:39
Welcome Back! I remember you as well, and I'm glad you are back on the mat!

Best,
Ron

LiteIce
11th April 2008, 07:05
Welcome back :) I to was involved in a car accident sometime back and it had a dramatic impact on my life. It did, at that time, affect my training but in the long run I believe made my Aikido even stronger. The best piece of advice I can offer you is: don’t go jump in the deep end when you train (over eagerness tends to cause this)... take your time as injuries take long to heal.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Maro
14th April 2008, 00:16
Congratulations on resuming training. It's inspiring to read.