PDA

View Full Version : Sword use

faethon
15th January 2001, 17:00
Does anyone know how many different technics and styles are in sword(katana)learning?Does ninjutsu and jujitsu help later in learning the use of a katana?

Just some guy
15th January 2001, 18:24
Faethon,
How's greece? I hope it's warmer than Germany is at the moment. Anyway, to an extent you can say that all learning will help with everything else. Is that confusing enough for you? Now let me put it in a simpler way. When you learn how to use a weapon, any weapon at all, you learn what techniques and stratigies an oponent with that weapon is likely to use. Therefore, you can also learn how to beat them. This sort of thing is universal. Learning Jujutsu technques helps deal with what an unarmed attacker is Likely to use against you when you are armed with a sword just as learning how to use a sword can help a you outwit an oponent who is using a sword when you are unarmed. Musashi talks about this in his Book of Five Rings and his 35 Articles on the Art of Stratigy.
So in answer to your question, yes it can help, though notice I say "help". In the end I think the best, if not the only, way to truly learn to use a sword is to study the sword. round peg for round hole sort of thing. Hope that answers your questions.