PDA

View Full Version : Hands-On Training

TommyK
5th June 2000, 06:02
Greetings,

Many of my family and friends are in law enforcement. THe NYPD is the organization that most of these individuals work for.

I'm told that in the NYPD, one goes through the 6 month Academy course, (this does vary, but 6 months is the standard)receiving about 20 hours of hands-on 'hand to hand' training. Of this time, the actual time any individual is on the mats varies, but it is not usually more than a couple of hours.

Conversely, the firearms segement is about 40 hours, of safety training, hands on training and practice with the standard service firearm.

After graduation, and for the next 20 years, officers must qualify with these firearms 2-4 times a year. However, there is no requirement for further hands on 'hand to hand' training for the next 20 years.

Given that firearms should be the item of last resort, and that officers use their firearms last than 1% of the time, wouldn't one think that some sort of continuing hands on 'hand to hand' qualification should be mandatory?

My sources say that the weight of the blue wall will substitue for one on one control, and/or they will use their batons, flashlights, any other device available, including firearms, before resorting to using their hands. Of course the last statement, was issued by those nearing the end of their careers.

I apologize in advance for any inaccuracy in the time frames explained to me, and of course as the nephew of an officer killed in the line of duty, I mean no disrespect in this thread topic.

Nonetheless, what do you think?

I'd appreciate any and all comments.
Regards,
TommyK

Kit LeBlanc
6th June 2000, 02:41
Tommy,

6 months is the general time frame. Washington state just switched from 3 months to 6 months.

Firearms receive so much training because of the liability issues. I am not saying that DT (Defensive Tactics) does not carry liability with it as well, but most departments seem to focus more on vehicular and firearm training over DT based on such concerns. This is a problem because while you may never fire your weapon in combat, but you go hands-on daily , and get in honest to goodness fights on a regular basis. Still some departments do NO further DT instruction after the academy.

Many cops are about as skilled hand to hand fighters as the average butcher, accountant or McDonalds employee. They get minimal training, and a lot do nothing to pursue DT/Officer Survival Training outside the department. Cops do get more street experience, so they have that going for them, at least. Some departments have a lot of backup, and can outnumber the bad guy if he wants to fight, and many officers make due with this. Many complain about even having to do DT practice.

Martial artists do come in to teach control tactics, DT etc. Training of this type has become a veritable industry lately. But officers tend not to have a lot of respect for people not out on the street doing it for real unless what they are teaching is proven, in front of their eyes, even. A lot of the Aikido-jujutsu based come-along stuff (wristy-twisties) simply does not work against motivated, aggressive suspects, and when an officer finds this out in a fight, the training loses all credibility in his/her eyes. Regardless of whether the officer may have misunderstood the technique's application.

The best instructors that I have found have been people with good martial arts skills then adapted through actual street experience into workable techniques which are EASILY LEARNED, and work for the greatest variety of officers.

Kit LeBlanc