PDA

View Full Version : Terou

Rukku San
11th April 2008, 22:50
Hi. I was wondering if anyones japanese was better than mine. I've been searching around the internet and books for about a day now and haven't been able to come up with a translation for Terou

could anyone please assist?

Josh Reyer
12th April 2008, 00:59
It's not a word listed in the dictionaries so you're going to have to provide a whole lotta context...

Brian Owens
12th April 2008, 07:47
...a translation for Terou
I haven't found anything for "terou" -- てろう -- but tero -- てろ -- is a borrowed word: terrorism.

The kanji for tero are:

テロ

HTH.

Brian Owens
12th April 2008, 08:23
...The kanji for tero are:

テロ

Sorry, I meant "katakana," not "kanji."

I've also seen it written:

テロリズム (terorizumu).

Rukku San
12th April 2008, 11:13
oops I forgot to give the context for the word, sorry the context is as a name.

Brian Owens
13th April 2008, 06:49
oops I forgot to give the context for the word, sorry the context is as a name.
Ah! That would probably be Teruo, not Terou.

Teruo is a man's given name.

Josh Reyer
13th April 2008, 06:53
Teruo is possible, but so is Taro(u).

A translation for "Terou" is simple: it's a name, as you say, so it means "Terou". (Or Teruo, or Tarou, if its a typo.) If you want to know the meaning of the individual components, we can't help you without seeing the kanji.

Brian Owens
13th April 2008, 07:22
Teruo is possible, but so is Taro(u).
I'll assume he meant Teruo, since it's just a matter of transposing two letters rather than a letter substitution; but, you're right, it could be Taro, two.

A translation for "Terou" is simple: it's a name, as you say, so it means "Terou". (Or Teruo, or Tarou, if its a typo.) If you want to know the meaning of the individual components, we can't help you without seeing the kanji.
I'll take a stab at one possibility.

I once studied karate under the late Hayashi Teruo, of Hayashi-ha Shito Ryu.
If I recall correctly, his given name is 輝男, and means "man of the shrine" when transliterated.

Karasu Maru
13th April 2008, 20:44
I’ll go with Brian.
I found a spelling error in the below site.

http://www.americansamurai.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=60

Brian Owens
13th April 2008, 22:30
...I found a spelling error in the below site.

http://www.americansamurai.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=60
I have sent an e-mail to the site's administrator.