PDA

View Full Version : INFO ON SHIRATA SENSEI

Ernesto Lemke
16th January 2001, 14:30
Greetings all!

I’m a newcomer to this forum but digging in the archives and reading the posts I’ve seen some familiar names already from another well visited forum. (At which some seem to be really, really active. Yamantaka?)

For some time now I’ve been researching into the life and person of the late Rinjiro Shirata Sensei as I train in a ryu which follows his teachings. Shirata Sensei’s name came up a couple of times in several threads and I was sort of hoping if any of you could or would help me with my research.
I’m especially interested in a couple of points.
- It’s rumoured Shirata Sensei was offered the position of Chief Instructor of Hombu Dojo before K. Tohei Sensei. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
- Does anyone know whether Shirata Sensei actually taught at Hombu Dojo on a regular basis? I’ve been told there are a couple of Hombu deshi who studied under Shirata Sensei at Hombu but was wondering about the frequency of his teaching there.
- Shirata Sensei was one of the few deshi that accompanied O-Sensei on his shugyo to Mount Kurama. Does anyone know more of this (in general)?
- There’s an interesting connection between Shirata Sensei and Saito Sensei which even resulted in the creation of a Federation surrounding the both of them. Perhaps someone knows more of this. Incidentally, their relationship is something of interest to me as well. Shirata Sensei adopted and adapted several technical aspects from the Iwama system which presents an interesting way of looking at the same techniques from a different perspective.

Anyway, I hope it’s not too much trouble to just be asking question as this doesn’t present much food for a discussion. Well hopefully someone is willing to respond anyway, in which case: Thank you!

Best regards,

Ernesto Lemke