PDA

View Full Version : The FN "mata policia"

Kevin Geaslin
23rd April 2008, 04:04
I saw something on the World News Report this evening about arms smuggled out of the US and into Mexico, later used by drug cartels against the police. They mentioned the "cop killer" pistol, which I Googled and came up with the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-seveN

I think I saw this pistol in the Jet Li film War, but wrote it off as a "movie gun" when I saw him loading what looked like rifle rounds into a pistol's magazine. I guess it's real! Does anyone have any experience with this ammo? By brother works in defense and I know he's interested in that P90 weapon.

TonyU
23rd April 2008, 11:54
I saw something on the World News Report this evening about arms smuggled out of the US and into Mexico, later used by drug cartels against the police. They mentioned the "cop killer" pistol, which I Googled and came up with the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-seveN

I think I saw this pistol in the Jet Li film War, but wrote it off as a "movie gun" when I saw him loading what looked like rifle rounds into a pistol's magazine. I guess it's real! Does anyone have any experience with this ammo? By brother works in defense and I know he's interested in that P90 weapon.

Yes, I'm familiar with it as we have several team members that have them and some have the P90 issued to them.

The round is a a 5.7 hence the name Five-seven. The handgun as it stands no has twenty round magazines and has considerable penetration but not overly so.

There's in an article in the latest issue of Tactical Weapons where our SWAT commander is quoted with more specific results of the testing.

The label of "cop killer" is the liberal, anti-gun media putting their ignorant spin on things.

I've personally handled and fired both the handgun and P90. I'm more sold on the P90 right now.
Nothing wrong with the it, just my sense of aesthetics doesn't evolve as fast technology. :D

Kevin Geaslin
23rd April 2008, 14:00
I figured the "cop killer" thing was just the media's new scare-tactic to latch on to. I remember when Die Hard 2 came out, and everyone thought that Glock handguns were magically going to appear on airlines all over the world.

JS3
24th April 2008, 01:54
The "cop killer" name probably came about because of the rounds ability to go
through the vests officers wear.
Remember the craze over teflon coated rounds?
Same line different target.

Duanew
24th April 2008, 12:27
The rounds that go through the vest are "LE" only ammo. The standard rounds don't.

JS3
24th April 2008, 23:00
The rounds that go through the vest are "LE" only ammo. The standard rounds don't.

I hear what your saying... unfortunately the news and other "information outlets"
can't be bothered by these trivial details.

TonyU
25th April 2008, 01:46

That's correct. I was just a little shy on posting this info.

Duanew
28th April 2008, 13:48
That's correct. I was just a little shy on posting this info.

I believe it is common knowledge in the gun mags....I poo pooed the concept of the round (and gun) until the ILEETA conference where I had a chance to talk to a couple of cops from Texas who set me straight on the effectiveness of the round.
If the rounds and gun weren't so expensive I might buy one.

rgoad
2nd May 2008, 01:49
This is nice weapon. A couple of the fellows in my club have them, they shoot nice and I have not seen a miss fire at any of the competitions. Cute little bullet, too. Shoots flat and good groups. Big muzzle flash, though.

TonyU
2nd May 2008, 11:39
This is nice weapon. A couple of the fellows in my club have them, they shoot nice and I have not seen a miss fire at any of the competitions. Cute little bullet, too. Shoots flat and good groups. Big muzzle flash, though.

You're right. One of our detectives just purchased one and I got to shoot it again. I'm still not sold on them, but it's probably like when the Glock first came out. I didn't like them at first, now I can't get enough of them.

Duanew
2nd May 2008, 12:20

The Texan said they had really good improvement of accuracy with recoil shy shooters and that it did have a loud bark.

rgoad
2nd May 2008, 17:52
Our club has a combat shooting league and we shoot low and no light. That thing lights the range up. You don't need a flash light after the first round!