PDA

View Full Version : what the founders would think

Lawrence Fisher
18th May 2008, 11:34
Hi there.

I was chatting with a friend of mine the other day about the different fighting arts from around the world both old and new. The topic of UFC came up and I thought this was quite an interesting question, so I bounce it back at you, a far larger audience than a table of friends talking over a few pints.

What do you think the founder of your art would think of the Ultimate Fighting Championships that are happening?

Cheers all!

Lawrence Fisher.

Josh Reyer
18th May 2008, 13:00
Hi there.

I was chatting with a friend of mine the other day about the different fighting arts from around the world both old and new. The topic of UFC came up and I thought this was quite an interesting question, so I bounce it back at you, a far larger audience than a table of friends talking over a few pints.

What do you think the founder of your art would think of the Ultimate Fighting Championships that are happening?

Cheers all!

Lawrence Fisher.

"That's some interesting sumo."

Aaron T
19th May 2008, 06:19
The beauty of studying history is that it keeps us humble.

THe UFC or whatever, is just a modern twist on stuff that has been going on for years. Joe can likley point out some great sources for early century examples.

At its core budo is about beating the hell out of someone trying to do the same to you. As to what folks would think, I am not sure, some would enjoy it, others wouldn't.

Aaron Fields
Seattle Jujutsu Club, Hatake Dojo
Sea-Town Sombo
www.seattle-jujutsu.org

Prince Loeffler
19th May 2008, 07:35
Bah Humbug ! Just kidding. Ultimate fighting is not anything new under the sun. The only difference perhaps is that Ultimate Fighting has more rules and fighters makes money doing it than what our martial arts forebears have seen.

JS3
19th May 2008, 07:52
One would have to ask what did the masters think of similar events of their day.

Motobu entered the contest against the boxer so I don't think he would mind.
I believe most of the masters would see it for what it is, a match against two
opponents for entertainment.

I remember reading in Bill Hayes's book that Shimabukuro (Eizo) was worried
when he first heard of these events, but was relieved when he saw that they
were just sport fighting.

I'll post the actual passage when I get home later.

mw17
21st May 2008, 01:50
Hi there.

Cheers all!

Lawrence Fisher.

They'd probably think it was a very entertaining sport.:)

Matt White

Chris McLean
21st May 2008, 14:28
Great test cage, it’s a Petri dish, and wonderful entertainment.

DDATFUS
21st May 2008, 21:50
"Fifty ryo on that ugly one with the tatoos."

Lawrence Fisher
22nd May 2008, 00:00
lol

Nice.

Lawrence fisher

Prince Loeffler
22nd May 2008, 01:29
"Fifty ryo on that ugly one with the tatoos."

LOL.........This is hilarious !!!!!!!!!!

John Lovato
22nd May 2008, 06:13
I think it would bolster their belief that westerners are barbarians.

Robc
11th July 2008, 20:10
Westerners barbarians for MMA fights? Because easterners are above doing that sort of thing? Come now. Name me an eastern culture that has not held sporting events as rough as MMA events. Thailand: muay Thai; China: San Shou, San Da; Japan: K-1, Pride, even Daido Juku/Kudo; S. Korea: Full Contact Hapkido/Pro Hapkido; N. Korea: God only knows. Other similar events in every Asian country I can think of.

But maybe you were being ironic and my sense of humor needs some fine tuning. If so, my apologies.

John Lovato
11th July 2008, 20:13
Yep, just being funny.

Robc
11th July 2008, 20:42
Doh! Sorry.

gmanry
12th August 2008, 01:35
Hmm, coming in a little late, but I am always mulling this over, being a practitioner of both koryu and gendai Japanese arts, as well as teaching a small Muay Thai/K1 style class for a friend's dojo.

I think the UFC/MMA field is coming full circle. I have been very interested in Anderson Silva, because he is basically handing people their heads left and right by using much more advanced timing and distance principles than many of the current UFC/MMA fighters can demonstrate.

I feel that he is one of the few real martial "artists" in that overall group.

People can poo poo it as sport all they want, but I think the statement needs to be made that they are still testing their principles in some fashion or another, while many so called traditionalists may have lost some of this (certainly not all).

I see a lot of JSA people who really aren't much better than tea ceremony with a sword, for example. Then they recoil in horror when you suggest that they actually know how to fight or kill with their weapon.

Certainly there are others who have great skill, but I feel they are starting to become fewer and fewer. Either we actively express and push these arts forward, or we let them die (historical preservation can be as good as death). The choice is ours, we are the practitioners.

Paul Steadman
14th August 2008, 09:18
Hey all,

Some of the more frugal founders may decry the overly inflated price of hotdogs (or hot pies, I'm Aussie) and cold beer at these events. ;->

Cheers,