PDA

View Full Version : Tamura's judo

Ryu
18th January 2001, 07:20
Hi everyone, Mark, etc. :)
I have joined and have been rolling with Vince Tamura's judo institute, and am thoroughly enjoying myself. I'm doing well, and as expected, my BJJ experience is helping me progress very quickly, especially in newaza.
I just thought I'd say hi to everyone, and I will see you all later.

Ja~ne

Ryu

Joseph Svinth
18th January 2001, 08:39
Small plug: For some historical background on the Tamura family, check my article in "Journal of Asian Martial Arts," 8:1 (1999).

MarkF
20th January 2001, 10:57
Hi, Bill,
If you are not too busy, stop by and give us a kiss.:kiss:

I'd like to know what you are doing, and what. Mr. Tamura was a seventeen year masters' champion, retiring when there was simply no competition.

Anyway, Good luck.

Mark

Ryu
21st January 2001, 06:23
Hi Mark,

I'll try to stop by as much as I can actually. Mousel's is getting a bit too vulgar even for me... so I'll probably be posting more. Mr. Tamura is a wonderful teacher. His experience seems to just flow when he fixes the little things you are doing incorrectly. People there are extremely nice, and I'm looking forward to training as much as I can. I think for right now, I'll be just trying to get my nagewaza really strong. If I can do that, I am thinking of competing in a few tournaments. :)
Hopefully I'll do okay.

Thanks for the support.

Take care,
Ryu

ss29515
23rd January 2001, 19:55
Vince Tamura's Dallas Invitational used to be the biggest tournament in the DFW area. I really missed it last year when the tournament wasn't held. I heard that Vince was out of town visiting a sick relative. I don't know if it is a permanent thing or just a fluke last year. The dojo I belong to usually mans a table at the tournament.

Mel Bailey

Ryu
25th January 2001, 04:59
Hi Mel,
Well being a new member there, I am not 100% sure about it, but from what I am hearing, I think the tournament will probably be reinstated. I know that many of the members compete in local tournaments around the area, and I'm hoping to do it as well.
Again, I'm a new member, so I might not have the whole story.

Take care,

Ryu

Ben Reinhardt
26th January 2001, 14:36
Originally posted by ss29515
Vince Tamura's Dallas Invitational used to be the biggest tournament in the DFW area. I really missed it last year when the tournament wasn't held. I heard that Vince was out of town visiting a sick relative. I don't know if it is a permanent thing or just a fluke last year. The dojo I belong to usually mans a table at the tournament.

Mel Bailey

Tamura Sensei's wife, who is the tournament organizer, is ill. He went to join her in a different location from Dallas. That's the word I got from Jim Web of Texas Judo, Inc.

As to whether or not the shiai will be reinstated, I have not heard.

Ben Reinhardt