PDA

View Full Version : Where to by a new Iaito and a hardcase

Rasmus
30th May 2008, 12:02
I am considering a new iaito and a hardcase in order to bring it on an airplane. Any supplier that ships to the US will do fine.

Google found this hardcase for me:
http://www.e-bogu.com/Deluxe_Sword_Hard_Case_p/str-bag-iai-katanacase.htm

Anyone got an opinion about it or knows about a better alternative?

My current iaito is a "Specialized Jidai Koshirae" (http://www.budo-aoi.com/iaito/03_splz_jidai.asp) from Aoi Budogu which I am very pleased with. For the new one I am considering a pick from the their new "Selected series" with a metal-cast toshin in the price range around $600.

Anyone with a better suggestion? Is there another supplier with equal or better quality with free domestic shipping within the US? Another interesting alternative would be a local supplier in close proximity to the Senpokan dojo in Costa Mesa, California with that match or exceed Aoi Budogu in quality at that price.

K. Fredheim
30th May 2008, 16:01
No idea about the hardcase, but I've always been super-pleased with Tozando (http://www.tozandoshop.com/category_s/40.htm).

socho
30th May 2008, 20:45
the e-bogu case is very nice, one of my guys has one. the wheels make it easy to travel with, doesn't look too much like a gun case, less airport hassle. current sale price is not bad, about half of what you would pay for a pelican case, which would be my other recommendation. as for iaito, Tozando or Nishijin is where I usually look, something always on sale. But the selcted series you mentioned look awfully nice.

Dave

K. Fredheim
30th May 2008, 21:42
From the comment on the e-bogu case:

Second: TSA does not have keys for these cases and usually suspect a firearm inside. Don't be surprised if you pickup the case at the destination airport to find it has been damaged (locks broken) so they can inspect the inside.

Anyone had this problem with (any) lockable cases? I'm actually looking for a case myself, primarily for air travel.

Michael Mason
30th May 2008, 22:02
From the comment on the e-bogu case:
Anyone had this problem with (any) lockable cases? I'm actually looking for a case myself, primarily for air travel.

I brought this up with the E-Bogu folks. They experimented with different locking options and decided on the non-TSA option. I'm currently using a plastic rifle case, which is ok, but the E-bogu is a better size and construction. Will be trading up soonish.

Personally, I've found that when flying with any sword in a hard case, even if you have a TSA lock, you get better results with security if you volunteer to open it up for them so they can inspect it with you there. Those TSA keys are oddly enough NOT kept easily accessible, which means the person who has to go get them is now in a bad mood, which increases all sorts of problems.

It takes extra time when you "volunteer it", but that way you can get the "inspected" sticker on it, and won't have your locks busted or your case taken off the flight. This also ensures that you can make sure everything is stowed properly after inspection, and can say things like "please don't touch that blade, it's sharp and your sweat can damage it".

Give yourself an extra 30 minutes at the airport. It's worth it. Be patient, be friendly. No problems likely.

socho
30th May 2008, 22:56
... you get better results with security if you volunteer to open it up for them so they can inspect it with you there. ... yep. I travel with swords often, keep my large pelican case locked, and have had no trouble (except once returning through US customs). When you check it they ask if it is guns - answer no, it is swords. When you take it to security, stand by. Have only had to open it once or twice, ever.
I may consider one of these cases myself, especially for the (rare) times when I only travel with one or two swords. :)

Dave

Brian Owens
31st May 2008, 04:57
One option, if you're concerned about TSA being able to access your case without damaging it, is to leave the case unlocked, and then wrapped in one of the TSA approved luggage security straps. Those straps have a TSA-accessable lock built in.

webjunkie401
3rd June 2008, 07:01
the e-bogu case is very nice, one of my guys has one. the wheels make it easy to travel with, doesn't look too much like a gun case, less airport hassle.
Dave

The rifle case that I bought to put my iaito in checked luggage looks almost exactly like the e-bogu case, minus the wheels. Oddly enough it only causes trouble when I mention that there is a sword and not a rifle in there.

Eugene
12th June 2008, 23:14
Rasmus:

I just ordered the Elite Jidai Koshirae from AOI-Budogu. Just curious, how stiff is your Specialized Jidai?

Rasmus
13th June 2008, 13:16
Rasmus:

I just ordered the Elite Jidai Koshirae from AOI-Budogu. Just curious, how stiff is your Specialized Jidai?
It doesn't feel "floppy" and compared to other iaitos that I've handled there are other things like weight, balance and geometry that sets them apart. I honestly can't think any way to grade or compare the stiffness in any meaningful way. Perhaps I don't really understand your question? ;)

Eugene
13th June 2008, 18:14
Rasmus:

Thanks. You're answer addressed the question well.:)

David Ortiz
11th December 2008, 15:34
Hello guys,
When ordering its clear as far as blade length to height but they also give you choices on the Tsuka length. There are three 8, 8.5 and 9 ? How do you choose which is best. Is it based ion what blade length you pick.

Thanks,

A noob

David Ortiz

Michael Mason
11th December 2008, 16:37
Hello guys,
When ordering its clear as far as blade length to height but they also give you choices on the Tsuka length. There are three 8, 8.5 and 9 ? How do you choose which is best. Is it based ion what blade length you pick.

Thanks,

A noob

David Ortiz

A hint (not a rule, nor a guide, but a hint) would be to measure the distance across both palms. From there, you can make some calculations based on your styles particular grip.

David Ortiz
11th December 2008, 20:06
Thanks,
now I get how to calculate that.

Cheers,

David Ortiz

Brian Owens
12th December 2008, 05:28
When ordering its clear as far as blade length to height but they also give you choices on the Tsuka length. There are three 8, 8.5 and 9 ? How do you choose which is best.

Definitely a question for your sensei, as it will very much depend on what school of swordsmanship you belong to.

Balancing with blade length and weight is, of course, part of it, but there's more.

Some people will start with hand width, then add additional for hand spacing; others will measure elbow-to-wrist distance; and so on.

No single answer.