PDA

View Full Version : Isshin-ryu lineage question

Undmark, Ulf
19th January 2001, 13:17
In a discussion on the lineage of Isshin ryu, the names listed in the BRDJ were mentioned:

Nen Ami Jion, Tsutsumi Hozan, Yoshioka Munisai, Yamada Shinryuken, Yui Shosetsu and Tan Isshin.
(and then Shiraishi -> )

Many budoka know, more or less, about Jion and Tsutsumi. SMR people also would have heard of Tan Isshin.
Yui Shosetsu is quite famous, appearing in some novels (and is mentioned in Hagakure), probably most known for his suicide in 1651 (?) after a failed attempt to overthrow the shogunate (I don't know any details about that, however). Obviously he was known as a master of bugei and strategy.

Question:
Does anyone have any information regarding the two previous nams in this lineage; Yoshioka Munisai and Yamada Shinryuken? I believe I've heard about Yamada, also being a known bugeisha, but that's all I've heard. Who were these two men, Yoshioka Munisai and Yamada Shinryuken?

Any help is very appreciated.

Ulf Undmark

Ulf Lehmann
28th January 2001, 14:46
There is a little story of a duell between Yamada Shinryuken and a swordsman called Araki Mataemon.
Yamadas weapon was a Kusarigama, so it was a very dangerous situation for Araki. But the swordsman was clever and enticed Yamada into a bamboo-grove. Here was a Kusarigama not so usefull against the sword and Yamada lose the duell...

Ulf Lehmann

Undmark, Ulf
29th January 2001, 09:24
Does anyone know if Yamada is known from any other lineage of budo than that of the Isshin ryu, having in mind that the Isshin ryu contains some quite famous names from "back then"?

If concidering Karl Friday's suggestion that the Isshin ryu *might* have been (technically speaking) very much the creation of Tan Isshin and that this man might have had several sources of knowledge and/or inspiration, going back through this lineage, then these people would have had much to contribute in one way or another.
Therefor it would be very interesting to know what exactly they were famous for.

Regards
Ulf Undmark