PDA

View Full Version : How long it takes?

khatheCh
25th June 2008, 20:08
I really need to learn japanese soon, but I was wondering, how long aproximately takes to learn good japanese if studying about three times a week?

Thanks to all,
Khathe

P Goldsbury
25th June 2008, 20:16
Hello Katerina,

Welcome to E-Budo.

I have edited your post to make it conform to the conventions of the forum.

Please add your full name to all your posts.

I myself studied Japanese (in Japan) for five years before I felt comfortable in the language.

khatheCh
25th June 2008, 20:28
Thanks then. Is it possible to learn it in about three years?
---

Katerina Chacoff

P Goldsbury
25th June 2008, 20:41
I am sure that you can make some good progress in three years. I suppose it also depends on the environment. I am living in the country, so I hear Japanese being spoken twenty-four hours a day. I myself wanted to learn how to read Japanese, as well as speak it. So this meant learning Chinese characters.

Good luck.

DDATFUS
25th June 2008, 21:23
The answer to your question depends on a lot of things. I've known people who picked up languages with great ease. I, personally, tend to have difficulty with new languages. So your level of natural talent, the talent of your teacher, the time you devote to studying... all of this makes a great difference.

I will say that I have seen people pass the ACTFL test at a level of Intermediate-Mid or Intermediate-High after about three years of studying Japanese, though at least one of those (academic) years was spent in Japan.