PDA

View Full Version : iai dojo in Charleston NC???

Chidokan
1st July 2008, 22:38
ok I give in... I have tried to get hold of the kendo/iai guys in Charleston but no luck...

So... a call for help. I am there starting July 10th for a week, with a view to living there long term. OBVIOUSLY I am not going if I can't find somewhere to practice!:laugh:
Also trying to find a hall for the 12th weekend so I can do some practise with a couple of friends coming down to see me... any help appreciated! And all are welcome to come if we get a hall!

Eric Spinelli
2nd July 2008, 04:55
Eww, the south?

Why don't you just start Roshukai USA?

Kaoru
2nd July 2008, 06:22
Hey Chidokan...

Charleston is in South Carolina. :)

I know I mentioned that to you... I forgot to tell you it's on the coast, though. :)

Brian Owens
2nd July 2008, 07:00
ok I give in... I have tried to get hold of the kendo/iai guys in Charleston but no luck...
Hi, Tim.

You may already have tried here...http://www.auskf.info/dojo/sc.htm..but if not, well, there it is.

HTH.

Brian Owens
2nd July 2008, 07:55
...Charleston is in South Carolina. ...I forgot to tell you it's on the coast, though.
Yep. Charleston Harbor has been an important port through much of our history. Lots of military and naval activity there.

Here are some maps, Tim.

Kaoru
2nd July 2008, 22:08
Yep. Charleston Harbor has been an important port through much of our history. Lots of military and naval activity there.

Here are some maps, Tim.

Yeah, it sure has been. :) I've been to Charleston once 4 1/2 years ago. Beautiful place, too!

DDATFUS
2nd July 2008, 23:44
Eww, the south?

Any particular problem with the South, Eric?

Kaoru
3rd July 2008, 04:43
Hi Tim,

I did find out something else that could help. I started a PM to you in reply to yours and will finish it tomorrow. It's getting late here. :)

Chidokan
3rd July 2008, 08:07
is it on the border or something??? I keep getting random NC or SC on site searches... maybe some people's idea of geography is worse than I thought previously:D

Thanks for the help from all so far. I am sending my buddie around to the citadel kendo club to see if they do any iai. If not, they are about to start....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Brian Owens
3rd July 2008, 08:49
is it on the border or something??? I keep getting random NC or SC on site searches...
Nope. It's almost exactly midway between the North Carolina border to the north and the Georgia border to the south.

I am sending my buddie around to the citadel kendo club to see if they do any iai.
Since their name is Charleston Kendo & Iaido Club I would hope they do Iai, but who knows?

Sending a buddy for recon is a good idea. :look:

Eric Spinelli
3rd July 2008, 14:53
Any particular problem with the South, Eric?

No, not really. With the exception of Oklahoma, I've been to every state in "The South." I don't think I'd move there, but visiting was just fine. I really just wanted to crack a joke while asking, "Why don't you start a USA Roshukai branch?" I had forgotten that Tim also plays Japanese Whack-a-mole, er, kendo, and that maybe he'd want to continue that nonsense as well.

Chidokan
3rd July 2008, 20:54
USA Roshukai... almost rhymes!:D Unfortunately(?) I've been beaten to it....there are some guys in California who are already starting with Iwata sensei coming from a previous visit from one of his students, Tateno sensei, and my friend John from Boston (who gets to the UK far more times than is good for his wallet...although I guess his whiskey cabinet is full!!:laugh:)

I have come to the conclusion that MA websites are like women... they give you just enough info to get you excited, then let you down badly.:D

Kaoru
3rd July 2008, 21:48
is it on the border or something??? I keep getting random NC or SC on site searches... maybe some people's idea of geography is worse than I thought previously:D

Thanks for the help from all so far. I am sending my buddie around to the citadel kendo club to see if they do any iai. If not, they are about to start....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yes, they do iaido. The sensei's name is on the website I sent you several days ago. :) He's a godan, but I don't know the ryu, unfortunately. But yeah... if you're gonna live there, why don't you start an iaido dojo? South Carolina needs another iaido dojo. :)

Eric Spinelli
3rd July 2008, 23:55
USA Roshukai... almost rhymes!:D Unfortunately(?) I've been beaten to it....

Yeah, but California alone is bigger than all of Japan, which has over 10 branches. Even your friend in Boston is over 1300km away.

The USA needs some more good Eishin Ryu. I hold you responsible!

Senjojutsu
4th July 2008, 01:40
USA Roshukai... almost rhymes!:D Unfortunately(?) I've been beaten to it....there are some guys in California who are already starting with Iwata sensei coming from a previous visit from one of his students, Tateno sensei, and my friend John from Boston (who gets to the UK far more times than is good for his wallet...although I guess his whiskey cabinet is full!!:laugh:)

I have come to the conclusion that MA websites are like women... they give you just enough info to get you excited, then let you down badly.:D
Thanks Tim,

But to be fair and balanced - there are several quality Eishin Ryu groups with dedicated practioners through the big, old USA outside of the Roshukai. And if you were to ever escape that damp, wet rock called England - I am sure you would eventually look them up one-by-one.

My wallet – I think of it as spending my children’s inheritance. In the end I think they would feed me just budget cat food if I ever lived that long - despite their assurances of nothing but the best Purina Gourmet brand for Dear Dad - King Lear had it right!

The whiskey cabinet is full – since I only touch the “aqua vitae” under extreme social pressure, unlike drinking alone with my Buddy Weiser. Anyway you haven’t visited New England either to sample it since I began collecting on my UK trips.
;)
Besides I thought I would be a whiskey contender until I wandered into that whiskey store in Terminal 4 at Heathrow last summer; saw that 1937 Glenfiddich bottle for a mere GBP 10,000. My spirit broken I flew home with the "budget bottles".

The rich are truly different - they have more money.
:(

Chidokan
4th July 2008, 20:25
£10,000 for a quality whiskey?and you didnt buy it? Shame on you...:laugh:

Kaoru,
I am guessing the godan at the club is seitei based given it is a kendo dojo, but couldnt find any reference to a koryu... What bothered me was the limited amount of info on iai, which I guess is down to the site creator being a kendoka, not iaidoka...... or maybe the godan has changed dojos??? I will let you know anyway how I get on...

Still no reply from there so am starting to panic! My karate buddy is back at work Monday (apparently there has been a holiday in the USA, where you offer condolences to each other for not being British subjects any more....:D) so hopefully I will have a room to practise somewhere!

Eric,
Iwata sensei is demanding another seminar in Ie Ozu in November. I am going to try and get there....so maybe, see you soon!:)

Brian Owens
4th July 2008, 21:12
...apparently there has been a holiday in the USA, where you offer condolences to each other for not being British subjects any more
I think something's wrong with your spelling checker.

That should be spelled C-O-N-G-R-A-T-U-L-A-T-I-O-N-S.

Chidokan
4th July 2008, 21:25
What??!!?? An American telling me how to spell???!!???
My English teacher mother would be spinning in her grave if she was dead....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You are just saying that because you are depressed:cry:... I forgive you...:D

Eric Spinelli
5th July 2008, 06:06
And here I thought we were celebrating the liberation of earth from those pesky aliens. All hail Will Smith!

Chidokan
5th July 2008, 10:15
Huff sensei has suggested we get together in Greenville over the weekend... if we can get the hall there, anyone else fancy coming over for a training session and swap some notes???
Also a suggestion for Charlotte from one of the guys on kendoworld, maybe people from Raleigh would like to join in???

Charles Mahan
5th July 2008, 14:35
I'd love to be a fly on the wall(with cameras), but the distance is just to great.

Chidokan
5th July 2008, 22:35
Buy a plane ticket... you know you want to....:laugh::laugh::laugh: Tell the mrs its a once in a lifetime international seminar, she can sunbathe on the beach or something, (in fact anything she will buy as a good excuse for a trip out!) and don't forget you need your sword and notebook as well as the camera...:D Oh...and beer money.:laugh:

Charles Mahan
6th July 2008, 04:22
Heh. I wish. Besides, I used that excuse back in 2003. She's not gonna let me get away with it again this early. My leash is short.

Chidokan
6th July 2008, 11:16
here's me thinking men were men in Texas... She obviously has a bigger gun....:laugh:

Charles Mahan
6th July 2008, 18:28
Ask Big Tony about my wife some time. I'll never forget the day she practically climbed up in his lap to look down at him and demand what he meant by his "wannabe Mexican" comment. I looked over at this mountain of a man with my tiny little wife towering over him and thought to myself... So this is it. She's finally gone and gotten me killed. Then I noticed the look of shock and awe on his face... She radiates ki in a most impressive fashion at times.

Chidokan
6th July 2008, 19:27
sounds like my wife... maybe there is a secret female plan to keep MA guys running scared...MA Stepford wives perhaps?.:D

Chidokan
13th July 2008, 13:53
Greg and I had a great time, 'swapped notes', with John and Greg's buddie trying to keep up! (sorry guys...!) off to the Charleston dojo today to see if it still exists!