PDA

View Full Version : Nito Kodachi (historical usage)

Jack Chen
10th July 2008, 08:34
I recently saw a Yagyu Shingan demo, which had one part using 2 kodachi.

Anyone knows what is the history behind wielding 2 kodachi?
I always thought Katana and Wakizashi is the more likely combination.

Thanks

DDATFUS
10th July 2008, 22:00
If I remember correctly, Tendo-ryu has a set of kata with the shidachi using two swords that are basically like kodachi, with one perhaps an inch or two longer than the other. I'm pretty sure that I read some post on the subject on here, though I can't find it at the moment. If you can dig up that original post (maybe made by Nathan Scott?), then you might find something useful to your inquiry.

Shingan
11th July 2008, 06:24
I recently saw a Yagyu Shingan demo, which had one part using 2 kodachi.

Anyone knows what is the history behind wielding 2 kodachi?
I always thought Katana and Wakizashi is the more likely combination.

Thanks

Yagyu Shingan Ryu nito kodachi (two kodachi) is used indoors. When kneeling opposite an opponent you take his weapon from him, and draw your own, using both weapons against him. The first kata is Nito Kodachi Kataginu.

Philip Hinshelwood

edg176
11th July 2008, 06:46
Jack,
You wouldn't happen to have video, would you?:)

Jack Chen
11th July 2008, 08:43
I have video actually. I saw the demo on DVD.

Probably can't upload it anywhere due to copyright. :D

It's from the book "Nihon Kenjutsu".
A thinner one (not Part 1 nor Part 2), and it introduces Katori Shinto Ryu, Yakumaru Jigen Ryu and Yagyu Shingan Ryu. Along with the book comes a DVD.

Paul Steadman
11th July 2008, 14:06
Hi all,

A small segment of Nito kodachi is also shown in one of Tanaka Fumon's books, with a photo sequence of Shimazu Kenji-sensei of Yagyu Shingan Ryu Chikuosha Heiho-jutsu, siezing an opponent's kodachi and using it in tandem with his own against said opponent. The trajectory of the cuts and sequence of techniques looks rather reminiscent of the 'omote kajo - nijuichi suburi,' solo and partner drills performed by Yagyu Shingan Ryu.

Cheers,

Fred27
11th July 2008, 17:15
Is this what you are referring too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTsgaTH8JIE

Josh Reyer
12th July 2008, 09:35
Is this what you are referring too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTsgaTH8JIE

No, the Nihon no Kenjutsu DVD that Jack is referring to is much more recent. Shimazu Kenji has silver hair in it.

Shingan
12th July 2008, 12:11
Hi all,

The trajectory of the cuts and sequence of techniques looks rather reminiscent of the 'omote kajo - nijuichi suburi,' solo and partner drills performed by Yagyu Shingan Ryu.

Cheers,

You are very observant Paul. Several weapon kata's ie. Kodachi, Jutte, Rokushakubo, Shuriken, Katana are the same as the kata's in the empty hand tactics of the Suburi Nijuichi Kajo (Omote Kajo) within the Yagyu Shingan Ryu.

Philip Hinshelwood
Yagyu Shingan Ryu

Fred27
12th July 2008, 12:46
No, the Nihon no Kenjutsu DVD that Jack is referring to is much more recent. Shimazu Kenji has silver hair in it.

I wasn't asking about which DVD it was. I was unsure what he meant with "two kodachi". It sounded like Jack Chen was saying Yagyu Shingan-ryu used two kodachi at once (per person) so I wanted to clarify what he meant by showing a clip.

Josh Reyer
12th July 2008, 13:24
I wasn't asking about which DVD it was. I was unsure what he meant with "two kodachi". It sounded like Jack Chen was saying Yagyu Shingan-ryu used two kodachi at once (per person) so I wanted to clarify what he meant by showing a clip.

I see. I believe what Jack is referring to is a segment demonstrating the Omote-kajo, Yagyu Shingan Ryu's solo kata, which can be done empty handed, with bo, sword, kama, and also in this particular demonstration, a kodachi in both hands. No two-person kata are shown using two kodachi.

Nathan Scott
1st August 2008, 02:53
Stumbled across this thread...

Tendo-ryu has a set of two person kata that incorporates two kodachi (Nito no Kurai). The one in the right hand is 1 inch longer than the one in the left hand. Both kodachi are a little over 2/3rds the typical total length of a full size katana (tachi). The nito kata I've seen are paired against an opponent with a tachi.

Regards,