PDA

View Full Version : kashima shinden jikishin kage-ryu?

leo822
21st January 2001, 00:30
can't find anything on this kenjutsu style/school.

is this the full name for the jikishin kage-ryu? or is it just another kenjutsu school based on the jikishin kage ryu?

thank you

-
leo hsieh

Nicki Gerstner
21st January 2001, 10:50
Hello,

in "Koryu Bujutsu - Classical Warrior Traditions of Japan" edited by Diane Skoss, there is a brief description of the Ryu. Maybe Diane or Meik Skoss could post even more about it.

leo822
21st January 2001, 12:06
okay, found my answer in koryu bujutsu by diane skoss.. :)
so it is the full name for jikishinkage-ryu and initially known as kashima shinden-ryu.

does anybody know how many people are teaching it in the u.s.?

thank you

--
leo hsieh

Meik Skoss
22nd January 2001, 11:24
Nobody, to my knowledge, is teaching the system outside of Japan. There are a couple of different groups that do Jikishinkage-ryu in Japan, so it's possible that somebody who is over here on a work assignment might know something about it. Your best bet is to enquire at the kendo dojo in your area and ask if there's anybody who studied at Waseda or Hitotsubashi Universities, where there are study groups.

A friend of mine studied it with Namiki Yasushi, head of the most senior line, for a number of years (and received several licenses in the system), but he has moved on to other things now and no longer practises. He might know of somebody, but I rather doubt it. If you are really that interested, contact me privately.

Peter Ambrus
18th November 2004, 10:04
Yes, you gave the proper name of the school. It can also be called simply Jikishin Kage Ryu (or Jikishinkage Ryu), all the same.

It is tought in the U.S. (on the continent, and on Hawaii, but I think only Naginata jutsu), Kage Ryu and Shinkage Ryu are more usual, and teaches more jutsus.

Suzuki Kimiyoshi sensei lives in Hungary, and teaches Jikishin Kage Ryu kenjutsu, ahd he has two clubs in Germany.

TimothyKleinert
18th November 2004, 13:44
To my knowledge, there are 2 schools that teach it in the US. One is in Hawaii, and one is here in Chicago. I don't know anything about the school in Hawaii, but I know that the school here in Chicago only teaches an abbreviated curriculum. As far as I know, they only teach the 4 Seasons kata's (or something like that).

(I've only visited the school, so take my knowledge for what it is.)

matt little
18th November 2004, 15:39
The dojo in Chicago is the Shinjinkan, or more accurately the Chozen-ji zen group which shares the dojo space. I don't feel qualified to elaborate on the training, as I train at the dojo but in our Shimbukan Ryu-gi study group and Aikido, not the Kenjutsu our zen group does. for more info, check out www.shinjinkai.org (http://www.shinjinkai.org) .

TimothyKleinert
18th November 2004, 18:42
Thanks Matt for the link, I should have included it myself.

Vile
19th November 2004, 08:35
At the Kashima Jingu Hono Enbu last June there was one western man performing with the Kashima Shinden Jikishin Kage-ryu group. To me it seemed that he was doing the uchidachi part in the kata series with shinken (quite a sight to behold btw.) so I suspect that he has trained for at least some time with the school.

I must point though that I'm not familiar or affiliated with this group of Kashima Shinden Jikishin Kage-ryu and have no idea about their curriculum structure so I'm just guessing here.

Hope this helps!
-Mikko Vilenius

matt little
19th November 2004, 09:06
Originally posted by TimothyKleinert
Thanks Matt for the link, I should have included it myself.
My pleasure...nothing better than a free plug for the dojo ;)

Peter Ambrus
22nd November 2004, 13:35
This may be a good book :) ...

for anyone who speaks Japanese... :cry:

http://buyubooks.com/product_details.cfm?id=10475

Anyone knows an English translation??? :confused:

Jake McKee
29th November 2004, 04:15
The Hawaiian Jikishin Kage Ryu dojo which was referenced above is the Chozen-Ji Zen Dojo established by Tanouye Tenshin Roshi who learned from Omori Sogen.

Omori Sogen chose to focus on the hojo (the 4 seasonal katas). So if you study at the Chozen-Ji dojo or the affiliate dojos in the states, you're likely to encounter the 4 hojo kata and the hojo walk.

By the way, Omori Sogen is the main figure featured in the Nihon Kobudo video on JSR.

Best,

Jake McKee
http://www.budovideos.com