PDA

View Full Version : No Qualified Instructors

Brett Liddle
3rd August 2008, 19:37
Greetings all -

Here's my question...I'm in the Army, so I move around ALOT and am (once again) stationed NO WHERE near a teacher of ANY Sword Art (Kendo, Iai, etc)....what is a poor guy to do. Anyone have any comments on how to "stay up" when faced with the dilemma of having NO direct instruction available? The world abounds with books, videos, etc - but those things scare me to death. There's a million charletains for every good instructor WITHOUT throwing the "distance learning" element in. I'd appreciate any comments from those who've been in my shoes. Hurts to be without a teacher, I can tell you...

Thanks a bunch,

Brett

Brian Owens
3rd August 2008, 23:41
You don't mention what art(s) in addition to Kendo you practice, so it's impossible to give specifics, but if your kenjutsu training includes solo kata/waza or tandoku renshu you should just keep practicing that on your own as much as possible.

You might also put a notice on a bulletin board in your post's recreation center or similar, stating that you'd like to meet other Kendoka; you might not be the only on your post facing the same situation.

HTH.

Chidokan
27th August 2008, 20:18
all you can do is ask around the 'local area' and see if there is a dojo that you may not know about, say some of the guys who may be half way between you and the nearest 'main' dojo might have a informal get together/practise session... After that it is try and get somewhere say once a month, and practise the lesson repeatedly when you are at home. thats how I had to do it. Now I teach a class... so the locals now have a dojo to go to!

Rob Alvelais
30th August 2008, 02:42
Brett,

How far are you from Bristol? PM me.

Rob

Greetings all -

Here's my question...I'm in the Army, so I move around ALOT and am (once again) stationed NO WHERE near a teacher of ANY Sword Art (Kendo, Iai, etc)....what is a poor guy to do. Anyone have any comments on how to "stay up" when faced with the dilemma of having NO direct instruction available? The world abounds with books, videos, etc - but those things scare me to death. There's a million charletains for every good instructor WITHOUT throwing the "distance learning" element in. I'd appreciate any comments from those who've been in my shoes. Hurts to be without a teacher, I can tell you...

Thanks a bunch,

Brett