PDA

View Full Version : Bring sticks and knives (BSKF Summer Camp)

Ade
6th August 2008, 09:57
Dear All

Gassho

I have recieved an e-mail from Steve Williams asking that all people attending BSKF Summer Camp 2009 in Sluff bring wooden/practise tantos with them for the weekend.

There MAY also be an opportunity for bo practise over the weekend so if you've got a sturdy bo bring it too.:D

Looking forward to seeing you all, I'll be there at about 3pm Friday afternoon.

Kesshu

Anders Pettersson
6th August 2008, 11:02
I have recieved an e-mail from Steve Williams asking that all people attending BSKF Summer Camp 2009 in Sluff bring wooden/practise tantos with them for the weekend.
Always planning in good head of time. ;) Unless you mean the Summer Camp this year (2008) that is coming up in less than two weeks. :)

There MAY also be an opportunity for bo practise over the weekend so if you've got a sturdy bo bring it too.:D

I kind of suspect that it is the BSKF Summer Camp on the 15th-17th of August. I will be there, but unfortunately I can't bring any shakujo (I think I have four of them :p ) since they (Ryan air) charge almost as much as the ticket itself to check in that type of baggage. BUt I might be able to bring a Nyoibo.

Looking forward to see some of you in a couple of days.

/Anders

Ade
6th August 2008, 15:57
Gassho

I can state categorically that the 2009 BSKF summer camp will NOT be in Sluff.:D

Bring you nyoibo, I will bring and introduce you to my leedle friends!:eek:

Kesshu

luar
6th August 2008, 16:17
How about this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=681zVPfnKN8). As they say, never bring a knife to a gunfight :)

Steve Williams
6th August 2008, 18:06
Dear All

Gassho

Kesshu

Actually I said that all YUDANSHA should bring tanto...... not all kenshi.....
There will be some time set aside for dan grade kenshi to practice knife defence.

Anders, i have a spare bo, unfortunately not got the "shakujo head", but I will bring 2 bo with me.......

Steve Williams
6th August 2008, 18:07
And the training on friday will start at 2-30, so if you get there at 3pm you will be a little late.........

Ade
7th August 2008, 09:05
Dear All

Gassho

Forgot to mention that ALL BSKF clubs present HAVE to have an entry for the BSKF's got talent James from Durham organised(!) fiasco on the Saturday night.:laugh:

Skits should be not more than 5-minutes long (Bristol take note) and not involve beating students for fun (Steve Williams take note.):cry:

Really looking forward to it - that and the copious amounts of food available at all meals.;)

Kesshu

Ade

Ewok
7th August 2008, 10:20
I'd want to go simply so I can turn up with a wooden spoon ;)

luar
7th August 2008, 16:27
I'd want to go simply so I can turn up with a wooden spoon ;)

Never bring a spoon to a knife fight :p

Ade
9th August 2008, 14:50
Dear All

Gassho

Everyone needs to see this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5P1KZsfNc), as potentially the first attender at the scene of a knife attack it's got stuff in you need to know to save life.

For those of you who carry a knife, or consider using one in "self defence" or have friend that does, I suggest you/watch this and think about budo or get them to watch it and think about the consequence of their actions.

It's why nobody should carry a knife and why it should be in jail for those that are found doing so.

Kesshu

sean dixie
9th August 2008, 15:10
Thanks Ade, beats the hell out of usual government sponsored warnings. Short and very much to the point, whilst we're all enjoying 'playing' with our tanto, perhaps some of these images should be kept in the back of our minds....

Tripitaka of AA
9th August 2008, 18:41
As a refresher, and preparation for the discussion times that may be available at Summer Camp, perhaps Kenshi might remember this thread, "Against a knife? (http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37835)". The thread did suffer a little drift here and there, but contained some gems. It contained a particularly juicy post from one of the E-Budo Moderators, Mark Murray, this is the direct link to his post (http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showpost.php?p=450529&postcount=39) if you want to avoid reading too much in one go. It is directly relevant to the content of Ade's posted video.

Rob Gassin
10th August 2008, 00:23
As a refresher, and preparation for the discussion times that may be available at Summer Camp, perhaps Kenshi might remember this thread, "Against a knife? (http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37835)". The thread did suffer a little drift here and there, but contained some gems. It contained a particularly juicy post from one of the E-Budo Moderators, Mark Murray, this is the direct link to his post (http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showpost.php?p=450529&postcount=39) if you want to avoid reading too much in one go. It is directly relevant to the content of Ade's posted video.

I felt sick just reading Mark Murray's post :eek:.

Ade
11th August 2008, 12:58
Dear All

Gassho

For those of us lucky enough to be able to attend the BSKF summer camp I thought I'd share this with you.

I have just got the attendance sheet from BSKF.

Here are the figures:

There are 2 x 8th Dan, (Sensei Mizuno and Sensei Mori Akihiro.)
1 x 6th dan.
5 x 5th dan.
12 x 4th dan.
57 dan grades 3rd dan and below.
And 50 x kyu grade kenshi.

So that's officially more black belts than you can shake a stick at, and that's if you're an olympic standard shaker with a very shake-able stick!:laugh:

Kesshu

PS Don't forget to bring a torch for safety during the walk down that really dangerous boy-raced infested country lane on the way to the:toast:pub - no seriously, I actually mean it.

luar
11th August 2008, 14:56
Dear All

Gassho

Everyone needs to see this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5P1KZsfNc), as potentially the first attender at the scene of a knife attack it's got stuff in you need to know to save life.

For those of you who carry a knife, or consider using one in "self defence" or have friend that does, I suggest you/watch this and think about budo or get them to watch it and think about the consequence of their actions.

It's why nobody should carry a knife and why it should be in jail for those that are found doing so.

Last week I was listening to a BBC podcast and was surprised to hear about the sudden rise of knife slashings in the UK, particularly among young people. The video really got to me so I offer these this story (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/15/nyregion/15melee.html?scp=7&sq=martial%20stabbing&st=cse) as a reference.

tony leith
12th August 2008, 22:37
Hi all

I will be representing Glasgow uni dojo at summer camp (unfortunately on my tod, as all of my students have contrived to either to be undergrads and not in Glasgow, or be postgrads actually doing some work (pause for wonderment - don't they know what being a student is for dear god, if you're going to have to work you might as well be being paid for it..)

Can I please be exempted from the 'BSKF's got talent' shennanigans for the painfully obvious reason that I don't have any (e.g. my singing voice could be used as an extremely effective crowd dispersal agent in situations of incipient riot, I'm afraid it wouldn't even need amplification..)

I have packed a tanto, but drew the line at attempting to portage a bo staff as a well as hefty rucksack on the train down to London. Didn't really fancy trying to explain myself to British Transport Police as I once had to security staff at Stansted who had just found a tanto in my hand luggage ( it was rubber, so it could have been worse..)

PS Adrian really isn't kidding about the country lane between pub and venue, be prepared to take cover in nearest available ditch from boy racers (don't worry you'll find it almost impossible not to find the nearest available ditch, however dark it gets)

See you all in the pub Friday evening (if I get there alive)

Tony Leith

Steve Williams
12th August 2008, 23:08
As usual i will probably not be able to attend the pub, due to the fact that someone has to be there for all the late arrivals who want a room.......

But I shall bring the usual bottle of single malt to keep me warm while waiting....... now laphroag or arblour...... or maybe that 20yr Glenfiddich..... and if Ade is about I will just get out that half drunk bottle of Grants blended stuff..... you don't think I'm sharing the good stuff with him ;)

Ade
13th August 2008, 03:05
Dear All

Gassho

I shall be too busy to waste my time with the likes of Williams and his blended rubbish.

We shall be rehearsing our Saturday night entertainment contribution - crawling out under the wire of the Teikyo school whistling the theme tune from "The Great escape."
(And you will never know how many times I re-wrote that bit after the - unless you're there and I tell you, it was far funnier here but I just can't bring myself to type it!)

Kesshu

(Do do do dee dee do do, do do do do do do do do....)

Indar
13th August 2008, 05:30
BSKF members;

I've just been cleaning out my cellar and have a number of copies of BSKF DVD featuring an interview with Mizuno Sensei.
If anyone in London is driving to summer camp and would like to take these for distribution please PM me.

Thanks.

Indar
13th August 2008, 07:29
BSKF members;

I've just been cleaning out my cellar and have a number of copies of BSKF DVD featuring an interview with Mizuno Sensei.
If anyone in London is driving to summer camp and would like to take these for distribution please PM me.

Thanks.

or perhaps I'll try and sell them on eBay......:laugh:

but seriously, if any WSKO kenshi would like a copy and can pay the postage please contact me. It is quite an interesting interview.........

tony leith
14th August 2008, 21:39
We shall be rehearsing our Saturday night entertainment contribution - crawling out under the wire of the Teikyo school whistling the theme tune from "The Great escape."

Ha - I attended summer camps at Stalag luft Sayers Croft, which did a much better job of recreating the POW camp/minor English public school ambience, right down to dodgy bunk beds and communal cold showers. Not to mention Sensei Jee coming round with the Alsatians to 'encourage' participation in the 6AM morning run (the original offer you can't refuse, however desparately you might want to..)

Tekiyo school; individual rooms and showers (which actually work), I know where I'd rather be. Yes, feel free to take this as clinching evidence I'm getting old and soft.

Tony Leith

Indar
15th August 2008, 07:39
or perhaps I'll try and sell them on eBay......:laugh:

but seriously, if any WSKO kenshi would like a copy and can pay the postage please contact me. It is quite an interesting interview.........

The DVD's are now on their way to Ade at summer camp.
Those of you that are interested in Mizuno Senseis' words of wisdom can apply for a copy there.

Ade
15th August 2008, 10:54
Dear All

Gassho

....it will be necessary to buy multitudinous quantities in standard measure of suitable alcoholic libation which will act as a social lubricant and ensure the speedier transmission of any such items to the grateful recipient.:beer:

Kesshu

Indar
15th August 2008, 10:57
Dear All

Gassho

....it will be necessary to buy multitudinous quantities in standard measure of suitable alcoholic libation which will act as a social lubricant and ensure the speedier transmission of any such items to the grateful recipient.:beer:

Kesshu

so how will I get my %age commission ?

Ade
15th August 2008, 12:17
Dear All

Gassho

You will doubtless be pleased to hear that I have in my possesion a copy of "Deep within each man" :cry: for use over the weekend...it is my intention to toast Indar (his cut :eek:) whilst it plays and we sing....:laugh:

Kesshu

Ade
18th August 2008, 08:19
Dear All

Gassho

Can I be the first to say just how well the BSKF Gasshuku went this weekend.

Despite the last minute cancellation of a Japanese guest instructor, due to health problems, the weekend was superb.

Much praise must go to Steve Williams and Chris Lloyd assisted by Yasue Kadowaki and others, it really was very impressive organisation.:nw:

Congratulations to all the graders, everyone passed and the joy was clear to see, particularly on Handsome Harry and Xena's faces.:karatekid

Looking forward to next year's, and for those of you who missed it - you missed out.:cry:

Kesshu

tracey fuller
18th August 2008, 08:51
Dear all,
It was indeed a top weekend, haven't laughed so much in ages.... and cried.... and felt so much pain, ah well it was worth it
Thanks to the organisers.
Also , personally I thought Abba should have one the talent contest
Regards Tracey

Indar
18th August 2008, 10:09
Looking forward to next year's, and for those of you who missed it - you missed out.:cry:

Kesshu

don't we have a date in Indonesia next year ? ;)

btw, any good quotes from this years gasshuku ?

i remember a seminar in London some years ago, where I hosted some kenshi from Bournemouth. Before the seminar I took them out for some late night drinks in Brixton.
At the end of the seminar some-one with a video camera was interviewing kenshi for their comments on the weekend, and asked one of the kenshi that had stayed with me whether he had learnt anything:

"yes", he said; "don't go out drinking with Indar Picton-Howell" :look:.......

Ade
18th August 2008, 11:10
Dear All

Gassho

Taikai will be in Bali from July 25th - 29th 2009.:cool:

There will be a BSKF summer camp in August for those not able to attend.:D

Quotes? Sensei Russ made quite a few when Steve Williams told him to go to bed on Saturday night, none of which I will repeat.:eek:

Kesshu

Indar
18th August 2008, 11:12
Dear All

Gassho

Taikai will be in Bali from July 25th - 29th 2009.:cool:

There will be a BSKF summer camp in August for those not able to attend.:D

Kesshu

start saving now.......................if you haven't already..........

Indar
20th August 2008, 11:53
The DVD's are now on their way to Ade at summer camp.
Those of you that are interested in Mizuno Senseis' words of wisdom can apply for a copy there.

I have been informed that these are now in the possession of Chris Lloyd, so anyone wanting a copy can apply to him.

These are going to worth a lot of money on Ebay in about 20 years times, especially if you get your copy autographed. :)

I did get one request, from and ex-busen student. At least some-one is interested. :cool:

Nina
20th August 2008, 23:52
Seems as if it was alot of fun, why didn`t nobody invite us to that event?

Indar
21st August 2008, 05:00
Seems as if it was alot of fun, why didn`t nobody invite us to that event?

maybe the BSKF is somewhat exclusive ? :):):)

but seriously; myself and other BSKF kenshi have travelled to many events in Europe, but it's rare to see European kenshi invited to UK events.

why ?

Ade
21st August 2008, 07:16
Dear All

Gassho

I can say that on this occasion it wasn't a matter of not inviting anyone, the actual problem was the venue.

The Teikyo school venue has a hall restriction on space, about 130 is maximum in that hall because of safety, the BSKF on it's own filled that easily and had to turn BSKF members down who didn't get their forms in quick enough (you know who you are!)

Next year's venue is being investigated now, we're looking for a far larger training hall with a wooden floor, where the accomodation and feeding is all on site. Ideally it should be within 1 and a half hours travel from London and near to a main rail route.

If anyone knows of such a venue please let myself or Tony Leith know as we're coordinating.

Once we've found it then it is my intention to invite all of the European federation to send delegates, personally I'd like to see 300 at the BSKF summer camp.

Kesshu