PDA

View Full Version : Creating Awareness

Jeff
22nd January 2001, 19:54
My Aikido Club is run in a University. The Club has been in effect since 1978, but has recently come under scrutiny for low registration of new members. The University states that each beginner class should contain atleast 12 members. It is essential that we do not loose this class as it would jeopardize the future of the entire Club. My question to you all is:

What can we do to create awareness about our Aikido club in order to attract new members?

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
23rd January 2001, 11:21
Jeff,

I am in exactly the same situation in that the Jiu Jitsu club I teach is in a University and I also need a minimum number of students registered each year in order to be able to teach.

There are a number of things that I have found to be effective in attracting new people although keeping them is a different matter !

1) Flyers & posters, a good flyer which states clearly the benefits of training, what kit is required ( a lot of people think you have to have a Keikogi to start MA) and the location and times of training distributed to all the halls of residence or in group locations such as libraries and canteens will always bring a few people in.

2) At the beginning of each semester I hold a 'demonstration' actually it's a big con. What I actually do is a cut down and speeded up version of a class so people can see what they'd be doing each week. The only real difference is that I explain what they're doing and why. I particluarly insure that last semesters beginners get up and show what they have learned. People expect the black belts to be great, they're always shocked how quickly you can develop some (superficial) competence as a beginner.
Then I finish the 'demo' early and invite people to slip their shoes and socks off and have a go. Usually I only do wrist releases etc. It's amazing how many more people come back once they've had a go.

3) Any coverage you can get in student media, radio, magazines whatever which includes training times and locations will bring some people in.

4) If you have some students already a 'bring a friend' session is always good. Designate a session a beginners night and tell the class that every one that brings a new person doesn't have to pay mat fees that night (actually in my club I collect the mat fees and buy them all a beer afterwards !!)

Just a few suggestions I'm sure others out there might have some different ideas..

Jeff
23rd January 2001, 13:38
Thank you Rob. I will take your suggestions under advisement. I especially like the interaction aspect to inviting others to participate in the demo. We usually put on demonstrations but have recently run into logistical bureaucracy. It is much harder to plan an event when there are two or three middle men. We recently had our club logo re-designed and will be putting it onto our pamphlets. I think we may have posters done up as well.
Thanks again!
Jeff Jodoin

Aikieagle
23rd January 2001, 22:56
im about to start a club myself here at University of Houston in Houston, TX. I always thought that using flyers was one of the best ways to get attention, the demonstration is also a good way to do it too. I also say that you sometimes have classes outside on the grass or something.....so that people can see you out there. I also say put an ad in the college paper. that would get some attention as well......im not sure if they are 100 percent successful....b/c im tryin it out right now. But it worked for others before me, so i hope it works for me......

Cesar Aguirre