PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Vs Old Guy Judo

DustyMars
15th August 2008, 20:03
For some reason Olympic Judoka are bent over so low their nose hit the mat and that is because they must be afraid of morote gari type throws, maybe, but in the old days (sic) we had a remedy for this; pick ups make uke light and tori heavy. How many times did I have a huge new student who thought he could defeat the old guy by pushing me into the mat only to make me stick to the ground, via gravity, and help him learn to be airborne. Well, I guess a foot in the mouth is against the rules, huh?

Sometimes us old guys of Judo just can't see what's the point in some of the activities during matches, and surely watching someone else makes mistakes does not justify putting down the competitors; but, I just see so many missed opportunities in many of these matches it seem like the coaches would see them as well.

Before retiring from shiai we were taught or coached to use a variety of techniques with a few strong ones in reserve so's our opponents wouldn't get wind of our good stuff and use it against us. By shiai end we had to pull out some sneaky techniques because everyone then knew all about our Judo. Now is seems like everyone uses the same old stuff, mostly cat fighting to get a grip, or pretend to do so, and waste as much time as they can.

Am I just getting too old for it or going crazy? :D