PDA

View Full Version : Mu Shin - Heijo Shin

kongozen
21st August 2008, 10:22
In Martial Arts, the attitude in perceiving a substance is known as 'Mu Shin', which means 'No Mind'. It is very popular term especially in KaraTe.

In Kongozen Shorinji, the attitude of perception is known as 'Heijoshin'.

I seek to understand the wisdom in these terms by the following enquiry:
1. What is Perception, specific to Budo?
2. How does the Perception take place?
3. What is the significant training in 'HeijoShin'?

Ade
21st August 2008, 12:13
Dear All

Gassho

Heijo-Shin means that you should always try and keep normal feelings and not be afraid or worried. As a practical example you must try and remain calm in moments of stress so that you can think clearly, if you remain calm and relaxed without fear and do not become tense, then will it be possible to block or counter-strike immediately without hesitation.

The problem with fear is that it reduces our capacity to think clearly and to perceive what action is necessary to deal with the threat, quite literally adrenalin switches off the higher formations of the brain and makes us revert to using the Lizard brain (not reknown for it's processing capacity!)

There is an old Chinese saying that translates as "There is no adversary so terrible as the one who remains calm in action."

Beware the opponent who is calm and rational, they've probably done this before.

Kesshu

David Dunn
21st August 2008, 13:12
How can you have a poll on the translation of words? :)

Heijo shin means "everyday mind".

Indar
21st August 2008, 13:28

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'

Alice in Wonderland.

Steve Williams
21st August 2008, 22:07
Kongozen, please follow the rules and sign all posts with your full name.

JL.
21st August 2008, 22:23
Gassho!

Kongozen, please follow the rules and sign all posts with your full name.I thought that rule was obsolete because of the automatic name below the handle?

Kesshu,
______ Jan.

Steve Williams
21st August 2008, 22:32
In a way it is obsolete, but it is a matter of politeness, and its really easy to set it as a sig.....

dirk.bruere
21st August 2008, 23:55

I think Mushin is the more interesting state of mind since it is essentially about removing the conscious/analytical mind (and the notion of Self) from standing between the subconscious, which knows what to do, and the action. It is a method of speeding up action/reaction. For example, nobody could ride a bike or play table tennis if they had to consciously analyse every movement. On the other hand, Mushin is not much good if the subconscious has not been trained with the correct procedure or skill. It then becomes a faster way to fail.

Dirk

David Dunn
22nd August 2008, 00:03
I think Mushin is the more interesting state of mind

The two things aren't mutually exclusive - mushin should be your heijo shin :)

dirk.bruere
22nd August 2008, 00:06
The two things aren't mutually exclusive - mushin should be your heijo shin :)

I'm not sure about that - especially in learning situations.
However, I have definitely sat through lectures in a state of perfect Mushin:-)

Dirk