PDA

View Full Version : Is there a relationship between MPB and aikido?

BC
23rd January 2001, 23:17
It was observed by someone at a party at our dojo recently that there seems to be an inordinately large number of bald or balding members (yes, all male) of our dojo. Everyone started to laugh because looking around, it was true. So my questions are this:

Is this isolated only to the dojo where I practice, or is this consistent at other dojos?

Is there some sort of link between male pattern baldness and aikido?

Since MPB is genetic, is there some common genetic trait that makes guys with chrome-domes (myself included) want to practice aikido?

Is ki killing the hair follicles on top of my and my fellow aikidoists' head?

Have I been getting tossed on top of my head, thus damaging my beloved follicles, and just not remembering it?

Is it just some devious plot by the Hair Club for Men to infiltrate aikido clubs?

Is it psychosomatic, based on the desires of male aikidoists to want to emulate O Sensei in every way possible, including physical appearance (I'm going gray also!!!)?

Am I in need of psychotherapy? Probably.

Is it just my body just becoming "rounder" looking to reflect the circular movements of aikido and the universe?

What is the answer?

Doug Daulton
24th January 2001, 00:00
Mr. Cronin,

Very interesting. You call attention to a pattern I have noticed in other budo as well. Hmmm ... what could be the connection?

Rob
24th January 2001, 10:08
Errr... picture this scene

Sensei demonstrates technique

Student watches

Student attempts

Student utterly fails to come close to Sensei's level of skill or movement

Student pulls hair out in frustration...

ahaaaa.... MPB !!

(Why not women, women generally having to live with men are far more acustomed to frustration and annoyance !! and also are too damn sensible to pull their own hair out !!)

Yamantaka
25th January 2001, 09:19
Dear Rob,

Good strike but no point... The problem exists and affects mainly teachers, as you justly observed. The geographical(!) position of the bald spot varies : in japanese, when the teacher watches the bumbling student, they tend, confused, to scratch the top of their heads. Result : friar's baldness (on the top of the head). In the West, teachers (awed by their students actions) tend to put their hands over their eyes and then, in despair, they move the palm of their hands upwards and over their forehead (and hair, of course). Result : they begin to grow bald in front.
Researchers conclude that it happens mainly with teachers and, of course, it's all the students' guilt. :))
Best regards
Yamantaka

Originally posted by Rob
Errr... picture this scene

Sensei demonstrates technique

Student watches

Student attempts

Student utterly fails to come close to Sensei's level of skill or movement

Student pulls hair out in frustration...

ahaaaa.... MPB !!

(Why not women, women generally having to live with men are far more acustomed to frustration and annoyance !! and also are too damn sensible to pull their own hair out !!)

Ron Tisdale
25th January 2001, 14:41
Ok, explain me. I've got some hair loss in front, and some behind. And I'm African American, so go figure...

Ron Tisdale :)

Yamantaka
25th January 2001, 15:03
Originally posted by Ron Tisdale
Ok, explain me. I've got some hair loss in front, and some behind. And I'm African American, so go figure...
Ron Tisdale :)

YAMANTAKA (Dogmatic) : You're the exception that makes the rule!
OK! There's another theory : three wifes were having a chat at the parrish and the priest came in. One of the wives asked him : "Oh, Priest! My husband does judo and he's getting bald in his forehead. What does that mean?"
- "It means, my child, that he's a very intelligent man!" said the priest.
- "Quite right!" replied the young woman.
- "And what about my husband? He does Karate and he's getting bald in the top of his head. What does that mean?"
- "It means, my child, that's he's very sexually potent!"
- "Quite right!" replied, blushing, the young woman.
- "And what about my husband? He does Aikido and he's getting bald in his forehead and on top of his head, at the same time. What could that mean?"
- "It means that he THINKS he's very sexually potent!"

Best regards