PDA

View Full Version : Jiffa Kata name

Tuckers Karate
28th August 2008, 18:29
I was wondering if there are any names for the Jiffa (Tecchu) Katas. I learned a kata and now am teaching it to others but it seems to have no formal name. Could someone please help me with this? The Jiffa kata I learned is taught by Master Shinyu Gushi. He has never given a name for it.

Sanseru
31st August 2008, 06:22
My own kobudo teacher, Minowa Katsuhiko sensei made a ticchu kata. He called it Matsukawa no ticchu. He passed away in 2003 and Yoshimura sensei renamed it Minowa no ticchu. I would suggest that it is up to Gushi sensei to decide what, if any name, he decides to give to the kata.

Kindest regards,

shoshinkan
1st September 2008, 22:24
I was wondering if there are any names for the Jiffa (Tecchu) Katas. I learned a kata and now am teaching it to others but it seems to have no formal name. Could someone please help me with this? The Jiffa kata I learned is taught by Master Shinyu Gushi. He has never given a name for it.

I had the pleasure of Gushi Sensei demonstrating and teaching his jiffa kata to a group of us last year in UK, a nice kata indeed.

his karate is of the highest order and he seemed a really nice person, I look forward to trianing with him again sometime soon.

Im sure he refered to it simply as his own Jiffa kata.

Sanseru
1st September 2008, 23:23
In vol 2 no. 13 of the magazine classical fighting arts, Mr. Gushi is demonstrating a Jiffa kata (pg. 27-29) which is referred to as "Mee no Jiffa". The article explains that it was taught to him by Uehara Saburo in 1958.

Regards,

andy.m
4th September 2008, 10:25
Im sure he refered to it simply as his own Jiffa kata.[/QUOTE]

Just to confirm you are right, I was also with Gushi Sensei last year, probable the same course[Bisham]. He just identified/introduced the Kata as"Jiffa Kata". P.S. It was bloody good course, pity about this year.
-andy.m

shoshinkan
5th September 2008, 11:12
LOL, small world, yes it was an extremley good weekend.

and a real shame about this year, but they are all off to Japan!

next year will be great, I hope Gushi Sensei returns.