PDA

View Full Version : nomenclature of kokyunage

autrelle
24th January 2001, 12:03
when will the kihon be more solidified for us beginners?! it's bad enough that in Aikido we have very huge issues concerning the nomenclature of our kokyunage-waza (or should i say lack there of?). i heard the most interesting question in class a few years ago: we were practing a kokyu technique when a fellow student asked the instructor what kyu level the technique was. the teacher gave a satisfactory answer, saying that the waza was 5-kyu (basic), comparable to the level of technique someone taking a 5-kyu exam would have to perform.

wow. is there a way to know basic kokyu waza as opposed to advanced kokyu waza (probably), and would a nice set of names attached to those kokyu techniques help out (i'm sure)? i heard a rumor a while back that Kanai Sensei was working on such a thing, evident from his video release where every technique was given a precise name.

astudent
28th January 2001, 04:53
i'm not sure i would want more names for each individual part of a technique. sometimes it's hard enough to remember the names of the techniques as they are, especially for a beginner. i've been at this 6+ years and the names aren't all second nature to me.
i also wonder if you break down the technique too much someone may get too focused on the divided parts and not really understand how each section will develop into the next. besides how would you determine where part of a technique ended and the next begins.
at my dojo we've broken down various kokyunage at different places within the same technique. it usually depended where people were having difficulty.
as i just reread your post i'm not sure if i answered your question.

autrelle
28th January 2001, 18:30
nah you did not but that's cool. if you watch Kanai Sensei's tape "Technical Aikido" then you will understand what i am asking.

truly

astudent
29th January 2001, 04:20
sorry :(
i haven't seen the tape.

autrelle
29th January 2001, 20:25
it's a great tape. he shows some very basic and varied kokyunage and each one is assigned a specific name.