PDA

View Full Version : Mark Feigenbaum, E-Budo Moderator, has passed

Walker
16th September 2008, 07:53
FEIGENBAUM -- Mark Franklin Feigenbaum, age 56, of Albuquerque, died on Tuesday, April 29, 2008.

Mark was born in Stockton, California on August 17, 1951 to Lee and Sol Feigenbaum. He studied cornet and judo for many years. Among his various positions, he did set-moving for Universal Studios, taught English in Mexico, and was a pharmacy technician for several long term care facilities in the Los Angeles area. Mark loved animals, especially cats.

He was preceded in death by his parents. He is survived by his sister, Gail Feigenbaum and brother-in-law, Alan Porter, and a number of cousins, including Louise & Jeannie Hajdenberg (of NYC) Jane (Connecticut) and Eva Nottenberg (New Hampshire), Hetty, Miles, Jody, & Wendy Rieger (California), Tanya Ong (Boston), and Michele Penzcewski (Belgium).

Cremation has taken place, Arrangements in care of RIVERSIDE FUNERAL HOME OF ALBUQUERQUE 225 San Mateo Blvd. NE 764-9663 www.riversidefunerals.com. No services are planned. In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to the Animal Humane Association or any charity of your choice which does not use animals in experimentation.

Shalom, Mark. We hope that you rest easy, now.

http://obits.abqjournal.com/obits/show/185939

I'm sure many of us remember MarkF as a valued contributor and moderator here. Although I only met him in person once, he was a good guy who did judo throughout his life. He was a part of E-Budo from it's very early days and often had something noteworthy to say about the martial arts and training.

"Old guys like me who have always trained and fought in single weave judogi, soft collar/lapel, that's how. When we're dead, you figure it out. ;)
Until then, I think I'll always wear an uwagi down to an inch below the elbow and shitagi just below the knee, pads low." Mark F
http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showpost.php?p=457692&postcount=3

fifthchamber
16th September 2008, 08:11
Condolences to his family...

I never met Mark, but every post I read by him was a good one...He will be missed by me..

My regards.

DustyMars
16th September 2008, 10:45
Wow, many a great discussion with Mark. I will miss his commentary!

Condolences to his family, R.I.P. MarkF.

He was so young, 56, any word on the cause if his passing?

Jeff

TonyU
16th September 2008, 13:09
R.i.p.

George Kohler
16th September 2008, 13:29
Wow,

RIP, Mark.

Condolences to his family. Mark will be missed here on E-Budo.

Here is his profile http://www.e-budo.com/forum/member.php?find=lastposter&t=9621 (former moderator for Gendai Budo and Judo forums)

Steve Delaney
16th September 2008, 14:21
Rest In Peace.

Robert Carver
16th September 2008, 14:39
Rest in Peace Mark and sincere condolences to his family and friends. Mark was one of the good guys.

Josh Reyer
16th September 2008, 15:09
I was (and still am) always pleased to come across a MarkF post when I'm diving through the E-Budo archives, and I don't even do judo. And 56 is far too young. Requiscat in Pace, ご冥福をお祈りします。

Aaron T
16th September 2008, 15:57
Mark was a good guy, funny, humble, who had a wealth of time and insight into judo. Both times I got to hang out with him was a pleasure. I am sorry to hear he has passed.

Aaron Fields

P Goldsbury
16th September 2008, 16:26
Condolences to Mark's family and friends.

Mark was a very good contributor and moderator and will be missed.

PAG

Chuck Clark
16th September 2008, 16:39
What a shock this morning! Condolences to his family. Mark and I had many good conversations over the years... many of them about our friends and judo experiences in common over many years. Mark loved tadashi judo. Where ever Mark went, we've got friends in the dojo there. Rest in peace Mark.

john_lord_b3
16th September 2008, 17:00
This is a sad news. I have enjoyed Feigenbaum sensei's contribution in E-Budo from time to time. His passing is a great loss for the world of Budo in general and E-Budo in particular. Condolences to his family, friends and students. I am sure his memory will lives on forever in the heart of loved ones.

(Note to Mr. Moderator: If I accidentally posted this message in the Judo thread as well, my apology, please delete the one at the Judo thread if you see fit. Thank you)

MikeWilliams
16th September 2008, 17:17
What horrible news - I wasn't expecting to see this here today.

I never had the privelege of meeting or training with Mark, and yet I consider him a friend, and I greatly valued his opinions on life, as well as judo.

E-budo won't be the same without him. My deepest condolences to his family.

Neil Yamamoto
16th September 2008, 17:35
I found out yesterday, notified the mods here, and a couple people up here in the Pac NW I knew Mark had met. I thought I included Aaron on there, sorry Aaron, my mind isn't quite all here. Doug beat me to posting the notice as well.

Mark had told me last fall he had failing eyesight, and other health problems arising. He had put up a picture I sent him of Amy, my wife, my dog, and I and told me: "I can't see it clearly but I like knowing friends are smiling at me."

He had gotten back in touch with his sister and her husband and had reconciled many issues they had.

About a month before he died, he sent me an email with a ton of music, with the note that this music was important to his life and wanted to share it with me. It didn't make sense then why he would send that. He also sent another email to Amy with a similar tone about the same time. His last email to me was just before he passed away, with a note he was getting familiar with braile and working by touch.

Looking back, I think he knew his time was coming. He had taken some steps with family issues, and I think his last emails to me were his way of saying goodbye. I'm sad that none of us knew until now. But I think he purposely didn't want people to know, and his family wouldn't know to let any of his martial arts friends across the country know either.

It has been a bad week, Dave Harris, another of the Pacific Martial Arts world I knew and respected died on September 9, and then I found out about Mark too.

Well, I'm hoisting a beer and a shot of whisky for those two later. Martial arts has introduced me to a number of great people and Mark F and Dave Harris are and remain as being among the top people on my list.

Walker
16th September 2008, 18:08
Neil,
Your story reminds me how generous Mark could be even with distant acquaintances such as myself. I can sympathize with Mark not wanting to trouble others. Thanks for telling us a little of how Mark was doing toward the end.

Hissho
16th September 2008, 19:30
I read this news with great sadness. Just the other day I was thinking that I hadn't seen Mark post in a while.

I was lucky enough to meet him back at the first Bluming seminar years ago with Toby, Aaron, Joe, Neil, Doug and the gang.

I got to spend some driving time and chatting time in the wee hours before sleep took us. We've e-mailed and PM-ed off and on for years since then.

Mark's views helped shape how I view Judo today.

Rest in Peace, sensei. Tonight keiko will be in your honor.

MakotoDojo
16th September 2008, 21:23
R.I.P. Mark...

kenkyusha
16th September 2008, 23:12
Wow- life has been busy lately, so I haven't been checking E-budo that frequently- the news hits hard.

Though we never met in person, Mark was unfailingly generous via E-mail and PM... we have lost a great member of this community.

Be well,
Jigme

Prince Loeffler
17th September 2008, 00:03
Hello Neil

Is there a way for you to send this link to Mark's family so that they may be aware of our condolenses here at E-Budo community ?

Thanks !

Neil Yamamoto
17th September 2008, 00:50
Sorry, I have no contact information for his family members.

David Gorden
17th September 2008, 01:13
It is with deep sadness that I read Mr. Kohler's message of Mark's passing. I feel the same as all the members. May the Lord bless Mark and keep him close. Amen

TommyK
17th September 2008, 01:14
Neil.
This caught me totally by surprise. I ALWAYS found Mark to be a friendly source of information and he shared many stories with me about his Judo experiences, not least of which was his acquaintence with 'Judo' Gene Lebell. He will be sorely missed!
R.I.P., with sincere condolences to his friends and family.
Tom

ZachZinn
17th September 2008, 03:37
Man this is sad, i've read and enjoyed Mark's stuff here for years, also growing up in Albuquerque it hits home, definitely sad, good thoughts to his loved ones.

DDATFUS
17th September 2008, 04:04
This is a shame; I never met Mark, but I'll really miss his posts and the good sense that they often brought to threads. Rest in peace.

Brian Owens
17th September 2008, 09:25
What sad news. Mark was too young to go so soon. It seems true what the song says; only the good die young.

Mark and I have exchanged many e-mails over the years, and I was aware of his developing vision issues, but not aware of any other problems, so this was, needless to say, a shock.

Rest in peace, Mark.

Brian Griffin
17th September 2008, 11:18
Requiescat in pace

Slán agus beannacht leat

May the Lord bless you and guard you – יְבָרֶכְךָ יְהוָה, וְיִשְׁמְרֶךָ
May the Lord shine His countenance toward you and be gracious to you – יָאֵר יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ, וִיחֻנֶּךָּ
May the Lord lift up His countenance toward you and give you peace – יִשָּׂא יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ, וְיָשֵׂם לְךָ שָׁלוֹם

... now I have one more reason to learn to say Kaddish.

שָׁלוֹם

edg176
17th September 2008, 21:03
My condolences also to Mark's friends and family. I always learned a lot from his posts about judo. He was a class act. I too was wondering the other day, why I hadn't seen any posts from him in a while.

I'll miss his posts.

Ron Tisdale
17th September 2008, 21:52
Aw shucks. This really bums me out. Condolances to all who cared about and for him. This is a pretty big hit to our community...

Best,
Ron

yoj
18th September 2008, 18:40
I remember reading about a round robin group of HAM folks that lost a very valuable long term member, when they had their weekly chat they would always end it with an invite from their deceased friend to call in with a comment, wait 30 seconds or so, and announce "Nothing heard"

condolences.

allan
18th September 2008, 21:24
Sad news. Mark was a wonderful member of this community, over many years.
I never knew him in person but I always valued his contribution here.

My warm regards to all his friends and loved ones.

Brently Keen
19th September 2008, 01:34
... and prayers for Mark's family and friends. I hadn't met him in person, but enjoyed his presence and participation in many discussions here.

Sincerely,

Brently Keen

nicojo
19th September 2008, 13:54
Ah, bad news. I always enjoyed Mark's posts even though I don't do judo and I thought he had a very kind, patient but no-nonesense manner when it came to what he knew--which was a lot. He seemed always interested to peek in on other budo as well.

Neil, terrible news about Dave Harris sensei as well. I went to his Greenlake dojo a number of times when I lived in Seattle, and one of his students was my first martial arts teacher. His method was phenomenal and I have very good memories of that time. This was the first I heard about it. If you go to his memorial, please bear a few good thoughts from me (even though you and I haven't met either.) Much appreciated and sorry for this loss as well.

Mark was an excellent mod. He seemed considerate of e-budo's goals and enjoyed I think the open-discussion, helped foster it here. Certainly one of the defining posters.

Kem Nicolaysen

Neil Yamamoto
20th September 2008, 04:19
A few pictures of Mark and others. All taken at the Old Seattle Jujutsu Club in Seattle's Rainier Valley.

Mark was doing a demo of something with Bluming, and I don't recall what. In any case, Bluming launched into a story and someone snagged this picture. This was 2001.

Joe Svinth and Mark F pose as proud members of the Chunen Butori Ryu in 2002.

This last one is of Bluming with Mark and Charles(forgot his last name) one of Joe Svinth's students. This was working on Bluming defense against a jab. This was in 2001.

George Kohler
20th September 2008, 15:01
Neil,

Thank you for the pictures.

X_plosion
21st September 2008, 15:03
Rest In Peace, Mr. Feigenbaum.

Robert Reinberger
22nd September 2008, 14:48
To read that bad news makes me sad. I only knew Mark from this site, and several PM and E-mail exchanges. To me, he was a really enrichment to e-budo, and I'm very sure that wasn't the only thing that made him precious.

My condolences to Mark's family and all who knew and admired him.

BC
22nd September 2008, 20:11
Rest in peace...

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

cxt
22nd September 2008, 20:22
Mark will be missed.

Mitch Saret
23rd September 2008, 17:46
As others have said, I was not able to meet mark personally, only here and some PM's. When I was diagnosed with MS he helped me with words of encouragement and some laymen's explanation of the different meds I was/would be going through. We shared a Judo background and had discussions that way also.

He will be missed By those that knew him on E-Budo as well as in life.

RIP Mark.:(

PeteBoyes
23rd September 2008, 20:15
I would also like to add my condolences.

Thank you Mark.

Cady Goldfield
4th October 2008, 04:43
I'll miss Mark's presence on the board, particularly his sometimes-curmugeonly crankiness and sense of humor, both of which shielded the heart of a mensch.

Farewell, Mark.
Oseh shalom b'mromav, hu ya-asseh shalom alenu v'al kol Yisroel, v'yimeru, amen.

Nathan Scott
9th October 2008, 03:29
Man, just catching up to this thread. What a shock.

I had some good discussions in past years, and I appreciated his knowledge and experience in Judo. I hope he passed it on to others.

He'll be missed here. My condolences.

Jonesy
10th October 2008, 19:41
This is so sad and shocking. Mark and I often PM'ed or emailed on Kata though we had not been so prolific of late.

The thread on the Go-no-Kata was of particular interest to both of us and also posts concerning the Budokwai in London.

RIP Mark

Starkjudo
12th October 2008, 05:44
Mark will be missed. Ialways enjoyed his posts on Judo and historical perspective. He was one of the first Judoka I met through the internet and I'll always regret never having met him in person.

Jeff Cook
12th October 2008, 14:49
I have corresponded with Mark for years; he opened my mind and my eyes to a few things, and he also gave me MUCH encouragement over the years. I regret never having the opportunity to meet him in person.

My condolences to his friends and family. He obviously imprinted himself positively on many lives, including mine.

Rest in peace, my friend.

Jeff Cook

Soulend
12th October 2008, 17:28
I am very sorry to hear of his passing. I had enjoyed his posts here for many years. My deepest condolences to his friends and family.

Judokax8
15th October 2008, 13:34
Eternal Rest Grant Unto Him and May Perpetual Light Shine Upon Him, May He Rest in Peace!

Condolences to His Family

Dennis

Mark Jakabcsin
6th November 2008, 13:38
Very sorry to hear about Mark's passing. His contributions were always entertaining. Way back in the pre-crash days of E-budo during the first Aiki Wars Mark contributed many posts. While I couldn't always follow his posts I greatly enjoyed his passion and thirst for knowledge. As many have said his pm's and emails were always a welcome addition to my day and will be missed.

God Bless.

Mark J.

powerof0ne
9th November 2008, 15:21
RIP Mark, you will be missed.

Andrew S
9th November 2008, 20:53
In memory of one of E-Budo's finest. Mark, you are sorely missed.