PDA

View Full Version : Mas Oyama Crippled?

budo_magus
21st September 2008, 20:38
A few years back, I heard the story that Mas Oyama was crippled in his 40's and confined to a wheelchair due to the tremendous strain his training and and fights had on is body. Is there any truth to this? I couldn't find any information on it. I'm beginning to think that this was made up to make him and his style look bad.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
Shawn Zemba

Martin H
22nd September 2008, 13:15
nothing that I or any other kyokushin practicioner has heard about. including those who trained under him in Japan up to a few weeks before his death.
Atleast then he was fully healthy (apart from the cancer that is) and was in no need of a wheelchair.

So, yes, its made up BS.
Probably from the same guys that claims he had to have surgery for his hands because of the tamashiwari training had destroyed his knuckles. Pure BS.

budo_magus
22nd September 2008, 16:06
Thank you. The claim did make a bit of sense, in that it would be easy to see that perhaps he developed injuries or an accident that laid him up for awhile and someone thought it was permanent. But it appears that there isn't the slightest shred of evidence to the story. Thanks again.

Shawn Zemba

Chris McLean
22nd September 2008, 16:35
On the other hand what’s the big deal with having surgery many old karate-ka and judo-ka do have surgery when they leave the hospital often use a wheel chair during recovery this does not mean they are confined to it for life they recover and go back to training its not the end of their career. This is a contact sport injuries do happen and people age. Iron rust at a rate that we measure with something called time. Time happens to us all. There are two very common times when you get injured one is over training and two is when you have been off for a while and come back and over do it. Don’t expect to get injured but also don’t think that your immune either just gets it repaired and go back to training. No one is immune from injury not even Mas Oyama.

DustyMars
22nd September 2008, 18:29
Wow, an old Martial Arts guy had injuries! :laugh: Sad affair, I will have both knees replaced in a couple months! :cry: But, maybe after that I can practice some stuff, at 68 it will be a slow process. Oyama probably had knees replaced too.

powerof0ne
25th September 2008, 21:24
Last month I was temporarily in a wheel chair due to having a metal plate inserted to close up my pelvic bone(jump accident)..I hope people aren't going to say I was crippled, too! :O

DustyMars
29th September 2008, 19:28
Well, some of the blame is mine, or ours so to speak, we did not do our knees any good with some of the dumb things we did. One leg deep knee bends, knee bends with some dude on our back, duck walks, and so on. Then I must have inherited the tendency for arthritis on the knees that didn't help. One wonders why the old guy sensei didn't warn us about that stuff. It hurts :cry:

My wife and I drive up about 20 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart for weekly shopping. I am retired at 68, but after shopping in that store I feel like a teenager :laugh: You see, the average age has to be 98!