PDA

View Full Version : Toyama No Nichogama ?

FFMAC
23rd September 2008, 06:11
I have been researching the history of Toyama No Nichogama or Tozan Toyama No Nichogama for quite some time and haven't really found a whole lot. Does anyone have something they can offer?

Thank you in advance

Chris McLean
23rd September 2008, 14:10
When I learned it my Sensei taught us that it was one of five original Kama Kata from Okinawa. I have not been able to find out much about it myself. There was one fella, old as dirt learned his karate when the dinosuars where still walking the planet, a few years back who knew it but my experiance is not many folks know the form. I would also be glad to here more about it.

FFMAC
23rd September 2008, 21:31
Its been my experience that only a few know it also, I have found one other black belt in this area that knows it but not much on its background either. I thought it was probably pre WW2 but wasn't sure. Did you Sensei have any idea who its creator was?

Chris McLean
24th September 2008, 14:09
Toyama was the creator but I dont know the rest of his name.

gokenkan
24th September 2008, 23:00
Brandon,

I learned Tozan Toyama No Kama about 16 or 17 years ago from Mr. Eddie Bathea of the Shorinkan. I do know that it was the major kama kata taught in the old USKA, but more than that I do not know. I will try to ask Mr. Bethea the next time I see him. Also Mr. Phillip Koeppel of Matsumura Seito teaches a similar kata he just calls Toyama no kama. Sorry it wansn't much help but I will make a point to ask.

Mike Jones

FFMAC
25th September 2008, 03:00
Mr. Jones,
What a small world I learned this kata from Sensei Tom Ward about 15 years ago, so we probably have about the same amount of info. I have seen Kyoshi Bethea a couple of times in the past couple of years but neglected to ask him. I did ask Sensei Ward and he told (I would have to double check the email) that is was not created by Kanken Toyama but another toyama.

On another note I believe you are the same Mike Jones that came to Crawfordsville and taught Seiyunchin (if I remember right) at Sensei Ward's when he was still teaching out of the church probably 1993 time frame.

gokenkan
25th September 2008, 04:27
Brandon,

It is a small world, I have been to Mr. Wards a few times, and I don't remember what kata it was but you are probably right. Back then that was my favorite kata. Back in the early 1990s Mr. Bathea worked for Indiana Michigan Power and his office was in the same town as my dojo, he would come over every day at lunch and train with me. Great times.

I did find out that Rudy Crosswell also teaches the kata and he said it was from the Taira/Inoue line.

Take Care,

Mike Jones

FFMAC
25th September 2008, 08:03
Thanks Mike!!
I know its listed on the kata list for Ryukyu Kobudo Hozan Shinkokai according to the website anyway.

Keep in touch

harleyt26
27th September 2008, 04:39
Toyama no Nicho Gama is very similar to Kanagawa no Nicho Gama.It is so similar that it was removed as a required for testing kata in the Tesshinkan in favor of Kanagawa no Nicho Gama which is slightly more complex in its techniques. But Toyama is still taught if you know the right teacher.

Maybe Mario Mckenna sensei or Devorah Domeitrich sensei could help with history information.

Tom Hodges

Sanseru
27th September 2008, 05:04
My sensei did not teach this kata, only kanegawa no niccho gama. However, he did note that it was on the kata mokuroku of Taira sensei. A very good description of Toyama no niccho gama can be found in the Japanese language series of the late Inoue Motokatsu. If you email me privately at kowakan@telus.net, I think I can help you.

FFMAC
27th September 2008, 06:33
My sensei did not teach this kata, only kanegawa no niccho gama. However, he did note that it was on the kata mokuroku of Taira sensei. A very good description of Toyama no niccho gama can be found in the Japanese language series of the late Inoue Motokatsu. If you email me privately at kowakan@telus.net, I think I can help you.

Email sent thanks for the offer.

Sanseru
28th September 2008, 16:02
Haven't received it yet, but look forward to it.

FFMAC
29th September 2008, 00:41
Haven't received it yet, but look forward to it.
My email has been a bit flaky the last couple of days so if you sent something please send it again, if not let me know and I will send the email again.

Thanks

Sanseru
29th September 2008, 00:46
Didn't receive anything.

FFMAC
29th September 2008, 06:29
Didn't receive anything.

Mario,
I was still hung up in my outbox on my laptop but its gone now.

Thanks